Can I Get Hyaluronidase 1 1/2 Years After a Restylane Treatment?

Hi, I had Restylane injected into my lips 1 1/2 years ago and it still has not completely dissolved. Is it too late to get hyaluronidase injections to dissolve the remaining filler? My lips look uneven, but I worry about further complicating things. What should I do? Thank you

Hyaluronic acid fillers, Juvederm and Restylane can be dissolved by hyaluronidase

+2

However, after about a year or so most of the filler is gone. If there is any residual filler, there may be further improvement. What's good about hyaluronidase is that it won't harm your natural tissue. I have found that some patients get improvement in areas that have been over-injected even 2 years later. Since there is little downside other than a few needle sticks, it can't "hurt" to try. If fullness or lumpiness persists, scar tissue and natural collagen buildup can be seen in areas of injection, especially if it has been injected numerous times.

It is not at all that unusual for Restylane to last this long.

+2

While we tell patients that the service last 6 to 12 months, what we are really saying is that you are likely to see enough of the effect diminishing that you will want to be retreated at that time.  That does not mean that the product disappears in that time frame.  I have had patients present 3 years after a service is volume issues that were completely resolved in seconds after injecting hyaluronidase, the enzyme that breaks down hyaluronic acid filler.  This shows that the volume issue was created but the original treatment.  Get enzyme, it will help you.

+2

You can but it's highly unlikely that any of the Restylane is still present 1 1/2 years after it was injected so there's be nothing for it to dissolve.  Are you certain that the filler injected into your lips was Restylane and not a permenent filler?  Be sure that the MD, you select, for your Lip Augmentation using fillers understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty (and lip proportion) for the creation of naturally, more attractive lips and face.

Hyaluronidase 18 months after Restylane

+2
It would be extremely unusual for you to have residual Restylane in your lips after 18 months. I agree that you should check whether you had Restylane as opposed to Perlane, Juvaderm, Radiesse, etc. You should return to your treating physician to inquire and also to take a look at your pre-treatment photos to see whether your lips were even to begin with. Hyaluronidase can be used long after a treatment.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Hyaluronidase

+2

Yes, if there is still product and it was an HA product such as Juvederm or Restylane then the hyaluronidase injection will help.  However, 18 months after injection, most of the product should be gone.  However, it is always worth a try.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Restylane

+2

There is no problem getting hyaluronidase at this late date.  I agree that it would be unusual for Restylane to still be there, but not impossible.  Double check that you did indeed get Restylane.  I have seen Juvederm last this long much more often than Restylane. It can also be dissolved by hyaluronidase.  

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane in lips

+2

Restylane should not be in your lips after 18 months. Your lips move so much that if usually only lasts 6 months. I'd see physician for an evaluation, but if you DO have Restylane in there you can get hyaluronidase - it works at any point to dissolve HA. Your physician will need to use much less than normal since you should only have a small amount (if ANY!) of Restylane left!

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Hyaluronidase after Restylane

+1

You could return to your injector for assessment to see if hyaluronidase would help dissolve the Restylane.  It is worth a try if you do not like your lips.  You could also discuss adding more filler with an experienced injector to even out your lips.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Hyaluronidase for fillers

+1

Hyaluronidase can certainly be injected at any point into the skin, but realistically speaking, the filler is typically gone by 6 months in the lip area so the benefits here would be modest at best.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Uneven lips

+1

You could get an injection into the area that is too big.I don't think it will matter.but most of the time the restylene should be gone but soemhow it lingers a little longer in you.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon