Can Hyaluronic Acid Treatment Help Me with my Chickenpox Scars (They're Not Very Deep)? (photo)

I had chickenpox somewhere around 6 months now and it has left me with some minor scars on my face. They look like on this picture, yet not that deep. The question is: can hyaluronic acid treatment help me with my scars? (I'm not aiming for 'perfect', but for 'less noticeable' or 'barely noticeable'. Thank you in advance.

+1

You need to induce dermal collagen production to 'plump' up the thinned and scarred dermis. The best results are a combination of Fractionated Resurfacing, Fillers to fill the depression and Dermaroller or Dermapen to induce collagen production. You need to see a specialist

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Fillers help stimulate collagen growth as well as temporarily fill atrophic scars

+1

SInce you had chicken pox within the the last six months and the marks are on your face, fillers may be a good short term option for you.  The skin remodels for several years after an injury and the face is particularly forgiving.  Thank goodness since so many skin cancers occur on the face.  Hyaluronic acid fillers have been proven to stimulate collagen regrowth and they wil certainly reduce the look of the scars.  I agree that fractionated resurfacing is the gold standard for old scars but, in this setting, you may get some instant improvement while your skin continues to improve.

Rutledge Forney, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Fractional Resurfacing for Chicken Pox Scars

+1

Hi Sandra.  We would not reach for a hyaluronic acid based injection first.  We would offer fractional laser resurfacing.  Although HAs can help with some types of scars, the area you want treated is small and what will likely happen with a hyaluronic injection is that it will just build a lump under the scar and lift the whole area.  This is different than what you need, a smoothing of the edges of the scar and new collagen underneath.  We would use the Sciton Profractional resurfacing device and likely treat it three times in a row, once per month.  

Harold J. Kaplan, MD