Can I Have Hyaluronic Acid and Sculptra at the Same Time?

I won a free session of Sculptra at a plastic surgery seminar. The doctor said he would like to inject along my cheekbones. However its been 8 months since I've had Juvederm (around my mouth, chin, and lower cheeks), and my dermatologist is having a one day sale this week for a full syringe of Restylane for less than half price. Is it ok if I get both of these injections so close together since they wont be in the same area? I've heard that one can cause an infection in the other?

Sculptra for different areas than Restylane

+2

Sculptra and Restylane are commonly injected at the same time.  The collagen-stimulator (Sculptra) is used to replace volume loss in areas such as the cheeks, jawline, and temporal hollows.  The hylaluronic acid filler (Restylane) is used to add fullness to areas such as the lips and corners of the mouth, where Sculptra cannot be used.  Infection is possible but unlikely whether the treatments are done together or separately.

Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra & Restylane Are Good Together

+1

It is perfectly fine to have both products injected at the same time.  The Restylane will provide an instant result whereas the Sculptra will take longer for its full effects.  If you or your doctor have concerns with injecting at the same time, ask if you can prepay for the Restylane to use at a later date.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Go for it

+1

Go for it. Should be no problem especially if in different areas. Not heard any "infection " stories.I would  prefer to do the Restylane first so that the injector of the Sculptra can work around it as the sculptra might not be visible when doing the other if sculptra done first. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Combining Sculptra and Hyaluronic Acids

+1

What a lucky person you are!  First winning free Sculptra and now 1/2 price Restylane....wow!

There's no problem having Sculptra and other fillers like Radiesse or Hyaluronic Acids (Restylane, Perlane, Juvederm) done at the same time or in the same areas.  Many patients are interested in the long term results from Sculptra but aren't excited about the idea of waiting to see results for months without any fillers so it is quite common to do both...the short term improvement coming from HAs and Radiesse and the long term from Sculptra.  The best of both worlds really.  After the desired results from Sculptra are achieved, patients still would need to have an HA done for their lips or augmentation of the nose, where Sculptra can't be used.

Stay lucky!

Dr. Grant Stevens         

Grant Stevens, MD

Multiple modalities for soft tissue filling

+1

Injection of different kinds of facial fillers (Juvederm or Restylane) and collagen stimulator's (Sculptra) can be injected in the same treatment sitting with no problem. Using Juvederm can give immediate results and Sculptra will give results over time. There is no increased risk of infection with multiple fillers in the same visit.

Ben J. Tittle, MD

Sculptra and a hyaluronic acid filler can be used at the same time if in different places

+1

There is no contraindication for injections of different fillers in different places.

About infections, since the product is sterile, you need to make sure your face is free of makeup or cream and that the doctor injecting you cleans your face very well with alcohol.  That should minimize the risk of infection.

Do not have injections done through any infected areas.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra and HA at the same time.

+1

Dear Neurotica in GA

You need not worry that one can cause infection in the other.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

HA and Sculptra often used together

+1

Since Sculptra cannot be used in the lips, and HA is great in the lips, this is the most common combination. Of course with all dermal fillers, sterile skin prep is always necessary. I have combined these two filler in the same patient and at the same visit, often layering products (Sculptra above the bone to lift and HA into the mid dermis for more superficial lines since 2005.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Hyaluronic Acid and Sculptra at the Same Time

+1

Yes only if there are in differing areas of the face. I NEVER combine these two injections in the same area of the face. They can counter act the action of the poly lactic acid stimulator. 

Sculptra and Juvederm or Restylane

+1

Combination treatments are common. The same day Sculptra, Radiesse, Juvederm or REstylane can be injected in different areas. Sometimes layered in different planes. Infections are very rare but can occur possibly with secondary fillers that disturb biofilm on older fillers or if  a currently used filler is placed through unclean skin. To reiterate the risk of infection is low.

Ronald Shelton, MD