Is Hyaluronic Acid Safe for Lip Injections?

Im looking to get a safe lip enhancement done (injections.) Ive done some research and found hyaluronic acid. Would you recommend anything safer and or overall better in results?

Best Choices for Fillers

+2

Hyaluronic acid is a good choice for lip augmentation (with products such as Juvederm) because it is a substance that is naturally found within the body. The advantage of using HA (hyaluronic acid) is that it attracts much more water to itself than its own weight thus resulting in the plumping look that you want to achieve. HA is naturally metabolised by the body and therefore the results are not permanent and last approximately 8 – 12 months. It is important to choose an injector with extensive experience in lip augmentation injections in order to achieve the most natural result possible.

HA for lip augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as Jeuvederm, Restylane and others are great for lip augmentation but are temporary and usually need to be re-injected every 12-18 months

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers are Excellent for Lip Augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid dermal fillers are the most common and typically the best choice for lip augmentation.  These fillers are easy to inject in a smooth, consistent manner, and provide excellent results for volumizing the lips.

Lip injections are performed as an in-office procedure.  I typically provide a pain-blocking injection prior to injecting lip filler, as this can be uncomfortable without the numbing medicine.  With the pain-blocking injection, the procedure is comfortable.  Results can be very subtle or dramatic, depending on your goals.  Creases surrounding the lips can also be filled to provide increased smoothness.  Results of the injection are immediate, and the mild swelling associated with the filler injection subsides over about 3 days.  You can expect your lip augmentation with hyaluronic acid to maintain its effect for approximately 9 months.

Dr. Skourtis 

Mia E. Skourtis, MD

In my opinion Hyauronic Acid fillers are the safest for lip augmentation.

+1

In my opinion Hyauronic Acid fillers are the safest for lip augmentation.  Hyaluronic acid fillers are effective, moderately long lasting, easily reverseable and have a very low incidence of adverse effect.  I use Hyaluronic Acid fillers much more commonly than any other filler.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic acid fillers for lips - your best option

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers such as restylane and juvederm are your best options because they are essentially natural, safe, and have many years of experience and scientific data to back up their results and safety. Most importantly for safety, it is the injector that is important as they are most understanding of anatomy, vasculature, nerves etc., so as to minimize side effects and be able to handle any problems (however rare).

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acids - Best Dermal Filler for Lip Enhancement

+1

Hello and thanks for the question.

Hyaluronic acids are considered safe for lip enhancement procedures.  They allow for volumization and enhancement of salient lip features - additionally and in the short-to-intermidiate term, the results are reversible, should the need arise, with the use if hyaluronidase, and enzyme which acts to specifically breakdown the hyaluronic acid.  There are several hyaluronic acid products on the market including, Juvederm and Restylane being two of the most common. 

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Hyaluronic Acid Dermal Fillers Safe for Lip Injections

+1

Hyaluronic Acid dermal filers are safe for lip injections. Restylane, in fact, has been approved for lip augmentation by the FDA in October 2011.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Hyaluronic acid for lip enhancement

+1

Hyaluronic acid products like Juvederm or Restylane are the best options for lip enhancement. They are used to replace lost volume, define the vermilion borders and create a more youthful curl, elevate and lift the corners of the mouth, and correct vertical wrinkle lines. They can restore the natural contour of the upper and lower lip and enhance the Cupid’s bow area. Lifting the corners of the mouth gives a hint of a smile and reduces the “sad or angry look” when they are down turned. Please remember, your results depend upon the skill and experience of your physician injector. You can follow the video link below to see me injecting my wife’s lips with Restylane!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

Yes, either Restylane or Juvederm is safe and effective for temporary lip augmentation.  If your lips are quite thin or you want a longer lasting result, I use Alloderm Lip Implants that last about 7 years.  

Restylane and Juvederm for lip injections

+1

Hyaluronic Acid (Restylane or Juvederm) is an excellent choice for lip enhancement.  The products are a soft gel that give very natural and safe results.  These treatments have an added level of safety in that they can be dissolved if, for some reason, you do not like all (or part) of the treatment.  However, remember that the most important step in getting a good result is not picking a product, but selecting a great cosmetic doctor who has experience in doing these treatments.

Marc Cohen, MD
Philadelphia Oculoplastic Surgeon