Can Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Help my Scleral Show/Lower Eyelid Retraction?

I used to have big eyes when I was very young but started developing scleral show(now 3mm) and mild ptosis after that(maybe from nine, looking at old photos), am still not sure why. It got worse after I started wearing contact lenses. My entire lower face is also sagging, could could be worsening my scleral show. I am only 21. Can hyaluronic fillers under my eyes/on cheeks help?

Scleral show in the absence of previous surgery

+1

You need to be seen by a doctor. Scleral show at a young age in the absence of eyelid surgery is a red flag for hyperthyroidism. If you really do have scleral show and have hyperthroidism ignoring the situation or injecting fillers is not what you need. The cornea is at risk of drying out and the hyperthyroidism will only get worse. See an internist or GP first. If your entire face is sagging you may have Romberg's which is a process where patients lose all their facial fat. Without a photo or face to face examination it is impossible to know what is going on or what treatment would be best for you.

Hyaluronic acid fillers can help in certain individuals

+1

It is difficult to be very specific in an answer to your question. A photograph would have helped. The short answer, though, is that fillers can help in selected patients.

J. Timothy Heffernan, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon