Lump After Matridex Lip Injections

I had HA-based filler (with a small amount of sugar molecules) called Matridex injected to my lips, and I developed a small nodule. Also, since it is in the wet mucosa, my tongue is very irritated although it is not very visible to others (only if I stretch my lips). It has been 3 months, but it hasn't dissolved yet. Could it be that scar tissue has formed or is it still the filler? Will it resolve sooner or later on its own? How can I make it dissolve faster?

Matridex

+2

Matridex is not FDA approved in the USA and I have no experience with the product. It appears to be a mixture of hyaluronic acid, which last typically 6 months, and dextran molecules which are apparently longer lasting, up to 2 years.

While hyaloronic acid is relatively easy to dissolve with hyaluronidase, I know of no "antidote" for the dextran... hopefully time will work in your favor.

You may want to talk to your doctor about dissolving the hyaluronic acid component of the filler with hyaluronidase if it is that bothersome.

If after a long period of time the lump becomes permanent, it should be possible to remove it from an intraoral (inside the mouth) incision.

Matridex-maybe not the best filler

+1

Dear Seekingforhelp

Matridex is a combination filler consisting of hyaluronic acid gel like what is found in Juvederm and Restylane, plus microparticles of dextran molecules. The dextran microparticles take a very long time to be broken down by the body so that the material functions as a semi-permanent filler.

This product is analogous to Artefill with a slightly different combination of products. Unlike Artefill where the long term product is a plastic microbead that is never going away, the dextran microparticles should break down over time. (Note: Artefill may no longer be available because the company that makes it has filed for bankruptcy protection.)

Again, the idea of a long-term filler material that breaks down over perhaps a year or two would be analogous to Sculptra, which breaks down over a very long time frame (1-2 years). That's the good news--long term fill. Now the bad news--long term fill.

If you get a lump or bump, there is no means of resolving it except waiting a very long time. This is why Perlane and Restylane are so fantastic. Have an issue, and the enzyme hyaluronidase can be used like an eraser to get rid of the lump.

Since your lump is on the inside of the mouth, it could be excised. However, I would recommend that you first have it injected with hyaluronidase to dissolve the carrier and see if this resolves what you are feeling with the tongue.

If this does not take care of the issue, have your doctor inject the nodule with saline to see if this can break it up. Failing these measures, then excision would be the logical next option.

Finally, just a note to readers in the United States, Matridex is not FDA approved in the United States. Doctors who are offering it are illegally importing the product. It does not have clear advantages over the preferred filler products: Juvederm, Restylane, and Perlane.