My Tummy Tuck incision opened up, my doctor wants me to pack it with gauze until it heals is that healthy?

I had a tummy tuck performed about 4 weeks ago and recently noticed (about 8 days ago) that the incision opened right on top of my pubic area. My doctor wants me to pack it with gauze until it heals is that healthy? I would think you would need to stitch it back up or something. I trust him but just want someone else's opinion.

Packing is a reasonable option

+1
Occasionally wound complications can occur with abdominoplasty. Conservative wound care with dressing changes usually will resolve the issue. Be sure to keep your follow up appointments with your Plastic Surgeon. 

Brandon Plastic Surgeon

Wound care after Tummy Tuck

+1
Wound breakdown can occur right above the pubis.  This area needs cleaning and daily wound packing until it heals.  Suturing at this point can lead to infection.

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD,DDS, FACS

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience. Yes, incision line separation and/or wound healing problems may occur after tummy tuck (or any other type of plastic surgical procedure). It may take several weeks to heal with dressing changes. Generally, patients do well but may require scar revision surgery down the line.
I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon (removal of an exposed suture or unhealthy tissue may be helpful and expedite healing) and continue to be patient through the process.

Packing vs suturing....

+1
Hello Letty and thanks for your post. Based on your description of events packing the wound and performing good wound care seems like a reasonable option at this time. It is not uncommon for this to occur and usually it heals rapidly with good wound care. Suturing at this point might not work to heal the wound as fast and might even result in worse healing. You should have your PS look at this wound as soon as possible and perform careful follow up visits to be sure the wound heals appropriately. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD