What Can a Husband Do to Help His Wife After Her Lift and Implant?

How can a Husband be of help after Cosmetic Surgery?

+3
This is one of the most considerate questions I have ever seen. Unlike "regular" Surgery, Cosmetic Surgery involves the clinical aspects of surgery compounded by the fears, doubts and insecurities involving changes of one's appearance. You could be of great help in acting as a coach making sure your wife takes her medications, eats properly and is reassured and supported in her decisions through the recovery and afterwards. Dr. Peter Aldea

Spouse Role in Postoperative Care after Breast Augmentation

+1

What a wonderful question.    A supportive spouse can significantly improve the quality of home aftercare.     A few recommendations:

1.  Fill her prescriptions before surgery

2. Arrange an area in the house for her to rest comfortably as she recovers that is easily accessible to a restroom

3.  Make sure to have plenty of dressing supplies at home.   

4.  Stay with your wife at all times for 24 hours after anesthesia and check on her frequently for the first 72 hours

5.  Assist her in arranging and taking her to  postoperative appointments until she is off pain medication (7-10 days)

6. Be emotionally supportive of her during the recovery process and offer reassurance.

Thank you for taking a proactive approach in the care of your spouse.   It helps both the patient and surgeon obtain the best possible outcome.

Paul S. Gill, M.D.

Gill Plastic Surgery

Houston Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Paul S. Gill, MD

The caretakers role after breast lift with implants

+1

The fact that you are concerned enough to pose this question is a good sign!  Your role is vital to your wife's recovery.  Being supportive and helping her with activities of daily living are crucial in minimizing post-operative complications. I encourage our patients to bring their "support person" to the pre op appointment so they can learn what to expect in the post-op period.

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

What can a Husband do After his Wife's Surgery?

+1

The simple answer is support her!  Patients experience a number of things after surgery which we address with medications, dressings, etc.  But one of the most important things they experience are emotions.  As her husband, you can be a huge help to her by supporting her not only physically but also emotionally. 

Simply be there for her!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

How can a relative help after surgery?

+1

A relative can be an important part of the post-op care delivered to a patient.  I always recommend to patients to have someone stay with them the first night after surgery just in case the patient needs help.  The relative can also help with assisting the patient i around the home.

What a great husband! :)

+1

What a refreshing question. Before I go into the medical response, I want for you to take into account everything that you know of your wife thus far. In effort to make her the most comfortable, aside from the medical aspect of the recovery, simply knowing how she likes being treated during an illness (i.e. Coddled? Left alone?), should be taken into account. One of the best things that you can do, (and seeing that you are posting this question, I think this is probably a moot point, however…), is to learn about Mastopexy, and all that it involves, including the recovery, as outlined by her surgeon. More than anything, be supportive; let her express her discomfort and/or excitement. Try to take care of the little things: Assist her with bathing, cooking, etc… The first few days may be difficult for the both of you, but simply listening and being well informed about the potential risks of the surgery, as well as the side effects of her prescribed medications, is a really great start.

Oh yes, and after everything has healed up and looks nice, be sure to tell her that she looks great!

Andrew Kaczynski, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Husband Help after breast surgery

+1

Excellent question either asked by a sensitive husband or a wife who is planning ahead. Essentially the husband can be most helpful as an emotional as well as physical support. There is no nursing training required, During the first few days he can organize the medications and make sure his wife is comfortable, remember it is easier to stay ahead of the pain than to catch up with it, so don't be stingy with the pain medication. Also help by taking care of children and household chores so his wife doesn't need to worry. Later during the recovery the emotional support becomes paramount as patients often go through an emotional roller coaster after surgery.

Johan E. Brahme, MD

Breast lift, breast aumentation

+1

Be supportive with their decisions, and post-op recovery.  The post-op recovery is fairly simple:  make sure that no heavy lifting or activities are undertaken.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Your partner has a vital role in recovery from Plastic Surgery!

+1

After any Plastic Surgical procedure, your partner (spouse, family member, good friend, roommate) plays a vital role in helping you to recover. 

In fact, I insist on meeting your "caregiver" during the initial consultation or your preoperative visit in my practice, so that I can be certain that you will have the assistance you need during your recovery from surgery! 

Things that a partner will help with after surgery include:

• Lifting objects beyond the limit for your procedure (i.e. more than 5 pounds for 4-6 weeks, depending on the details of surgery)
  • Preparing healthy meals and related clean up!
  • Housework and daily tasks around the home
  • Childcare
  • Assistance with transportation for at least 2 weeks or until you are off pain medication that may affect your level of consciousness or reaction time
  • Psychosocial support

All of these things are equally important to your recovery as plenty of rest, good nutrition, following your Plastic Surgeon's instructions and TIME.

Your partner is also my "partner" in supervising your recovery. 

They will report back to me on your progress and work as a member of your "team" in ensuring you have the best possible result!

Karen M. Horton, M.D., M.Sc., F.R.C.S.C.

Karen M. Horton, MD

Husbands role in wife's cosmetic surgery

+1

Fantastic quesiton. I will try to be brief. In my personal as well as professional experience, there are numerous issues at play. First and foremost is listening and understanding the reasons your wife underwent the procedure without being judgmental or critical. Many women are made to feel guilty by society about having "unnecessary" cosmetic surgery when they are undergoing the surgery to restore their self esteem or even to appear more attractive to you. Secondly, is being available and supportive. Taking into account the responsiblities your wife normally tends to and seeing that arrangements have been made such as her occupation, children, etc.will take a great load off her mind. This is just the beginning but where I see the majority of husbands falling short or their role.