It Hurts to Run 2 Months After Lipo on my Stomach ... Is This Normal?

I try to run 2 months after lipo and it hurts my flanks and hips to jog ... Is this normal?

Tender running after liposuction

+2

Generally, there can be sensitivity up to three months after liposuction, though running at two months should not cause any harm. You can try more support such as snug spandex shorts under your running shorts, and try a softer surface such as a treadmill or a track to start out.

peterejohnsonmd

Running can be uncomfortable 2 months after liposuction

+2

It is normal to experience discomfort with any bouncing or impact activities for several months after liposuction. You can make a switch to nonimpact aerobic exercise, such as spinning, or brisk walking on an inclined treadmill. Other things to help accelerate your recovery include stretching exercises and massage of the treated areas. It just takes time, however, to get to the point of being comfortable with impact exercises, but it will happen.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Recovery from liposuction

+1

As you are healing from liposuction, it is not unusual to go through a recovery process.  At 6 to 8 weeks after surgery, the collage under your skin is rebuilding and the tissue organizing.  It is very helpful to do stretches every day to help loosen the areas.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Exercise After Liposuction

+1
It is quite normal for the areas that were liposuctioned to be numb, uncomfortable, or even painful for a number of months following surgery. This is particularly true with exercise. Some people like to wear their compression garment during exercise to help with this. This sense of "awareness" of the surgical areas seems to correspond to swelling. The good part of that is that there is probably more improvement to come when the swelling finally goes away.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Liposuction recovery time

+1
This is normal. Try some non jarring exercise. The pain usually goes away after three months but may take up to six.

Jacqueline Calkin, MD
Sacramento Dermatologic Surgeon

Lipo 8 weeks post procedure

+1

It is failry common to feel somewhat stiff or uncomfortable when you go back to your usual exercise routine.  Give it some more time to heal., and it should get easier.

Running after liposuction

+1

It is not unusual to experience discomfort when running or doing other vigorous exercise for even 6 months or longer after liposuction.  Most likely your discomfort  will slowly resolve.  In the mean time, I would suggest trying other forms of exercise such as cycling or spinning. Good luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

Discomfort running at 8 weeks following liposuction of the abdomen

+1

There is still going to be a fair amount of inflammation present even at 8 weeks following liposuction of your abdomen so, as a consequence, you will experience some amount of discomfort. Over time, this should resolve but it can take 6 months to a year. Many people also experience fluctuations in swelling with exercise - so don't worry.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD