What Hurts Less - Open Rhinoplasty or Closed Rhinoplasty?

I Want to Know What Hurts Less Open Rhinoplasty or Closed Rhinoplasty.

Pain and Discomfort After Open vs. Closed Approach Rhinoplasty

+2

Hi Em,

With anesthesia, neither hurt during the procedure.  There is surprisingly very little pain associated with either open or closed approach rhinoplasty.  With both, you should only feel a slight bit of nasal congestion, and at worst a sinus type pressure headache.  Most patients get by on just plain Tylenol though they are given Vicodin just in case and for at bedtime.  The most uncomfortable aspect of Rhinoplasty is if your surgeon uses intra-nasal packing after the surgery.  I and many other rhinoplasty surgeons no longer use nasal packing so that our patients can experience a more comfortable recovery.  Choose your rhinoplasty surgeon most carefully.

Dr. P 

Pain after Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty

+2

I would expect the pain to be similar after rhinoplasty - open or closed. Suture removal (unnecessary for closed approach) may be uncomfortable after open rhinoplasty but certainly very tolerable with the help of numbing cream.

At the end, pain levels should not determine the rhinoplasty technique used. Rather, whether the surgeon is able to accomplish everything.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty

+2

Thanks for the question. I perform both open and closed (endonasal) rhinoplasty and in my experience, patients report that their postoperative pain is mild with either approach. Pain medication is usually needed for only 2-3 days following surgery.

I would leave it up to your surgeon to decide whether an open or closed technique would be more effective for your rhinoplasty. The decision should be made on the basis of which issues in the nose are being addressed as well as the surgeon's training and experience with each approach. I have found that the small incision on the columella in open rhinoplasty heals quite beautifully and the slightly longer healing time is certainly worth it if your surgeon feels that the results will be better (in his/her hands) with the open approach. 

Regards,

Dr. Mehta

Umang Mehta, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Discomfort should be about the same with both open and closed approaches

+1

Hello Emily

Thank you for the question.  Both open and closed approach to rhinoplasty should have similar discomfort.  The discomfort is primarily from nasal bone in-fracture and from intra-nasal splint/congestion.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Does not make a difference what technique is used.  With osteotomies, there is more discomfort after surgery than without .

Vladimir Grigoryants, MD

Open or closed Rhinoplasty?

+1

There really should be no difference in the pain level after either an open or a closed rhinoplasty. Either procedure is not particularly painful. Patients usually note a level 1-2 of pain on a scale of 10. The only difference may be in swelling in in the postoperative period.  Every patient has different threshold of pain, so it is difficult to predict. Most of our patients do not take medications other than Tylenol in the immediate postoperative period, however there are those whose medication needs are higher.

John E. Sherman, MD

Pain of open versus closed rhinoplasty?

+1

I am not sure if this has ever been definitively answered. It is my impression that the open may involve silghtly more swelling and therefore more inflammation and pain but this is only an educated guess. In my opinion there are not significant differences in the pain levels.

Difference in post op pain between open and closed rhinoplasty

+1
The closed rhinoplasty is going to hurt less because there is no external incision on the nose. The only difference is the incision across the columella and more sutures. Overall, as long as there is no packing placed inside the nose which can make the nasal tissues very painful in the postoperative period, there is probably not a huge difference between pain associated with the open or closed procedure.  

Pain with Open vs Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

Over the last 30 years, I'm not aware of a difference in my patient's post-operative pain, whether I did an open or closed procedure. Pain after rhinoplasty is moderate and controlled with oral narcotics the evening of surgery. The followingg day, most patients use Tylenol.  

Pain Aftet Open vs. Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

There are no studies that I am aware of  to say one way or another. Pain is a very individual thing.   The pain from rhinoplasty is usually well tolerated.  Ice, elevation, and modern pain medicine all help to make this a very tolerable experience. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD