Does It Hurt to Have Dental Implants Placed?

Dental Implant Placement is NOT painful

+2

Dental implant placement is relatively painless.  For years, I personally have called every patient in the evening after placing dental implants.  So far 99% of patients, at most report being a little sore the day of implant placement.   It's actually less painful that extracting a tooth.   Many of my cases are performed flaplessly, meaning the gum is not cut and pulled back.  This makes the healing even easier.

Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after implant surgery

+2

Usually implant placement is not a painful procedure. When implant is placed flaplessly the patient usually has mild discomfort that goes away in a couple of hours and in more extended situations it can be compaired to uncomplicated tooth extraction. In cases when additional grafting is performed the discomfort from the surgery can easily be managed with mild pain medication. Majority of the procedures is performed under local anesthesia. 

More extensive cases with multiple extractions, implant placement is sometimes recommended to be done under oral or iv sedation for patient`s comfort. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Implants are a minor surgery

+1

Like getting a tooth pulled, a dental implant is a minor surgical proceedure. Usually people report having less sensitivity than pulling the tooth, but it can have a range from slight to moderate discomfort. The actual placement can be done with no pain after the local anesthetic is given.

M. Andrew Atwood, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after dental implants?

+1

For placement of a dental implant, the discomfort most patients complain of is associated with the incision made in the gum tissue (if even an incision is necessary).  Bone has no nerve endings, so you won't experience pain related to the implant being placed into bone.

Although I provide my patients with a prescription for pain, most, if not all, tell me that they didn't need it.

Michael Gulizio, DMD, MS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant is not a painful procedure

+1

Most patients take mild pain medications after dental implant placement. It causes minimal discomfort when done properly and in an atraumatic manner. During surgery, many of my patients choose IV sedation for comfort but it is also quite possible to do it comfortably under local anesthesia or nitrous oxide sedation.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Its minor surgery,therefore minor discomfort.

+1

The mouth has an amazingly quick healing time due to the vascularization of the gums,bone etc. You will be  numb during the most painful part and by the time it wears off the pain will be minimal to none..

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant placement is relatively painless

+1

There are several methods to the surgery, some more uncomfortable than others.  Most remark that having a filling is more uncomfortable, so a rule of thumb would be that dental implants are not significantly uncomfortable (nice double negative, eh?).

The biggest factor is that there are no nerves in bone, so all discomfort comes from gum tissue treatment.  If the tissue is "flapped" there is more discomfort than if there was just a small punch of tissue.

Some instances simply require more, so every case is different.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist