Why Does It Hurt So Badly Icing my Breasts 5 Days Post Op? (photo)

I had a BA 5 days ago, and today is the first day I really got out and about. I feel a bit of a lump, or dip, in my right breast on the side. I have been icing a lot. When I went to ice tonight, it hurt quite badly! I had to pull the ice pack out. Now it feels very cramped, like a tight muscle that won't relax. Should I grit the pain and ice anyways? Or leave it and relax?

Pain 5 days after breast augmentation

+2

Thanks for your question and pictures.  Having some pain after a breast augmentation, especially submuscular,  is common.  It should be improving everyday.  If you are experiencing new pain without much change in activity level, you should contact your surgeon.  Also, the lump you show in your pictures may be a number of things and will be best diagnosed by an examination.  As far as icing, it will not help much 5 days after surgery.  It is usually only helpful within the first 24-48 hours.  Good luck!

Pain after Breast Augmentation

+2

Pain is a given after any type of surgery, including breast augmentation. If your pain is relatively equal in both breasts there should be less concern. However, if pain is more extreme on one side vs. the other you should contact your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns. Muscle spasms and muscle pain can occur after submuscular placement of implants. The area in the right breast as shown in your photo may be a cramped or tight muscle as you have described. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD

Cramped Tight Muscle 5 Days after Breast Implants

+1

The pectoralis major muscle is likely in spasm 5 days after surgery.  Sometimes, a muscle relaxant can be prescribed to help in the interim.

Pain

+1

I dont ask my patients to use ice for pain relief. I find it can be more harmful than helpful although each surgeon has their own protocol. give your surgeon a call

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Why Does It Hurt So Badly Icing my Breasts 5 Days Post Op?

+1

Better yet CALL your surgeon so he/she can see this issue. It could be a very minor issue or could be the beginning of a bleed. PLEASE call

Extreme pain 5 days after surgery = call your surgeon

+1

Please call your surgeon about this.  The lump you feel may be a lymph node, the implant margin bulging against thin tissue, muscle spasm, or something else altogether--an exam would help determine exactly what it is.  Pain after surgery should gradually improve each day, not worsen.  Ice is usually only helpful in the first 24 hours after surgery--at this point, it may just make you more stiff.  A muscle relaxer may help, if your surgeon agrees.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Pain in breast and lump after breast augmentation

+1

While it is common to have some discomfort after breast augmentation, extreme pain is not normal. Some muscle spasm is.  A lump is not, it may suggest a hematoma.  I would check with your surgeon. Good luck.

Pain and “Lump” after Breast Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

In my practice, I suggest that patients avoid  the use of ice (or any other modality) that causes discomfort. Although some discomfort is to be expected at this stage in your recovery, you should find that it is improving on a daily basis. The use of pain medication and/or muscle relaxants may continue to be necessary for a few more days.

The “lump” that you demonstrate well in your photograph, may be an area of muscle spasm, a lymph node, or the breast implant. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to diagnose/advice you more precisely after direct examination.

Best wishes with the remainder of the recovery; hopefully, you will be very pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure.