Surgery in 2007- In the past 2-3 months I've noticed my saline implants seem smaller. Could I have partial deflation? (photos)

I had Inamed 68MP saline implants placed in August of 2007. In the past 2-3 months I have noticed that they seem to be smaller than ever. Both implants no longer feel full like they used to. They are googly feeling and are rippled. My left breast also seems to be smaller and lower than the other. Could I have a partial deflation on both sides?

Surgery in 2007- In the past 2-3 months I've noticed my saline implants seem smaller. Could I have partial deflation?

+3
You need to be examined in person immediately!!! Appears as a possible leak in the posted photos but a bilateral leak very very unusual!!!vs just wrinkling effect of aged saline implants. If surgery done in US you might have a warranty on the implants.... 

Possible saline implant deflation?

+2
I think your description is all that is required to make this diagnosis. Your photographs confirm that you have an unsatisfactory degree of (almost certainly) deflation-related rippling, asymmetry, and additional surgery is required. An MRI is wasteful and adds nothing. (If your report was that your implants appeared "fine" would you say "Great" and go on your way?  And if it says "partial deflation" will you do nothing? Of course not!)

You need your saline implants replaced. Even if they were perfectly intact at the time of surgery--doubtful, would you want your surgeon to leave them in just as they look now? Of course not! Replacement with the previous or slightly larger volume (to better fill your loose skin) new saline implants will not correct the problem of thin overlying tissues. Switching to slightly larger cohesive silicone gel implants will make a significant improvement, but you may require ACD (acellular dermal matrix, like Alloderm, Strattice) or bio-absorbable Seri to create more tissue thickness to better conceal implant rippling.

You do not need scans or other investigative tests; you need surgery to correct or improve your problem. I'd recommend switching to cohesive silicone gel implants. Or, if your tissues are extremely thin and unable to be properly reinforced to eliminate or mostly eliminate visible rippling, then consideration of shaped highly-cohesive implants (like the Allergan 410) may be considered. See your own plastic surgeon, or seek consultation with any other ABPS-certified plastic surgeon who does lots of breast surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Saline deflation?

+2
Saline implants usually completely deflate if they ruptured. You have at least rippling due to thin tissues. As for position, possible contracture, these would have to be evaluated in person. You probably need Strattice to camouflage the rippling and change of implants,

Deflation saline implants

+2
hello. thank you for your question. yes they could be partial deflation, it could happen in salines implants.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

?deflation?

+2
Well, it is always diffeicult to be very certain with only limited information but, yes, they could be partially deflated. Although most deflations are rapid and more complete, sometimes, especially with a valve leak, the process can be much slower and incomplete.
One other consideration would be if you have lost weight during this time frame as that can unmask implant "issues" that were already present but just "hidden" by the extra body fat.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Partial deflation of implants

+1
Implants may settle and sometimes the saline implants can change size/shape.  Visit with your plastic surgeon to see if you'd like a revision.

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Possible leakage

+1
You should see a board certified plastic surgeon as it appears you may have leakage, although generally saline implant ruptures tend to lead to rapid deflation. You may also consider being examined for possible capsular contracture. Best of luck. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Possible leaking saline implants.

+1
It does look as though you're left implant may be losing some volume. This is not an emergency. A convenient time visit your plastic surgeon for personal examination. You can plan a strategy if it is determined that your implants are indeed leaking. The chance of bilateral leaking is extremely remote.

Partial deflation of saline breast implants is certainly possible.

+1
Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your photos it appears that you may have a slow leak of your saline breast implants.  Particularly on the left side a significant deflation has occurred.  There is no cause for alarmed, however you will likely need removal of the implants and replacement if so desired.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Saline implants changing size

+1
Thank you for your excellent description and photo.
Yes - I suspect your implants both are leaking, one more than the other.
This happen with time - the one-way valve eventually loosens.

See your plastic surgeon to have them removed and replaced.
At times this can be done with local anesthesia in the office.
Discuss with your surgeon your goals and the best approach for you. Best wishes!

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD