How Much More Weight Do I Need to Lose for a Tummy Tuck and Will I Get the Look I Want with an Extended Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Before my son, I weighed 160lbs at 5'6". Had him & got up to 230. Now I have dropped to 186lbs and have plateaued for the past month. I have exercised more and changed my diet to more raw foods as well and am barely seeing any loss. Is it time for me now to have a full/extended tummy tuck or should I wait? Is there anything else in my mid section I should get done cosmetically at the same time for a more beneficial look for me?

You do not need to be at ideal body weight for a tummy tuck. Criterion is muscle approximation.

+3

First of all, great job reducing your weight.  In an ideal world, everyone would be at their ideal body weight when having a tummy tuck.  But in the real world, this is not the case.  My criterion for performing a tummy tuck is getting the muscles all the way to the midline.  For your height, this is possible at 186 lbs. and I do plenty of tummy tucks on patients who are, like you, moderately but not severely overweight.  Our surveys showed that 90% of our patients were more motivated to get in shape after having the surgery.  You just need a regular tummy tuck.  By "extended," that may mean carrying the incisions well around your sides.  I don't think you necessarily need that.  You would benefit from simultaneous liposuction of your abdomen and flanks.  If you would like to view before and after photos of similar patients, you can check out this part of my website, attached.  You will lose some weight just by having the surgery, and when you see the results you may be more encouraged to lose even more.  Don't worry, it won't make the skin sag again, even if you lose 20 or 30 pounds.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?????????

+2

Congrats on your weight loss.  Ultimately, you should go and get a consult from a board certified plastic surgeon.  From the photos, I would recommend that you go with a standard abdominoplasty coupled with circumferential liposuction to provide emphasis for your abdomen and hips.  As far as the plateau in weight loss, do not become frustrated and stay the course.  After the initial weight loss, it is not uncommon to plateau.  Keep up the good work and keep us informed of your progress.

Stephen M. Chen, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck after childbirth and weight loss

+2

From your photo it looks like you are an excellent candidate for a complete tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) with muscle tightening.  For maximum improvement in trunk contour you would also likely benefit from trunk liposuction.  Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can review with you a complete portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures to illustrate typical results.

Daniel Greenwald, MD

Weight loss for Abdominoplasty

+2

Congratulations on the weight loss.  I would suggest that you reach your target or baseline weight before having surgery.  You could have the surgery with your weight slightly heavier than baseline, but you will need to continue to diet and exercise after surgery to achieve the best results.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Full or extended tummy tuck

+2
Congratulatons on getting into shape. I would recommend that you reach and maintain your ideal weight before having the surgery but this is an excellent time to see plastic surgeons in consultation and learn more about it. You should be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck; I do not think that an extended tuck would be warranted in your case.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Best Result With Tummy Tuck At Ideal Weight

+2

Although it appears from your photos that you would get a nice result from a full tummy tuck with muscle repair, your result would likely be even better if you were to wait until reaching your ideal weight.

John Whitt, MD

Weight Loss for Optimal Abdominoplasty Results

+1

Congratulations on the weight loss.  It looks like you've been working very hard.  Based on the pictures, it does appear that you still have some fatty tissue in the abdomen area.  Ideally, it would benefit your overall post-abdominoplasty results if you cam get closer to your pre-pregnancy weight (170lb-175lb).  If you have reached a plateau, you can try changing you exercise regimen or perhaps diet. 

Usha Rajagopal, MD