Hump Still Present After Rhinoplasty?

I had Rhinoplasty and Septoplasty about 9 weeks ago. I had bumps on the upper sides of my nose that was suppose to be removed and smoothed out. However right after surgery I still saw a minor hump and it still hasn't gone away. Is it still due to swelling or is it probably permanent?

The Hump

+2

The "minor hump" may improve over time (only 9 weeks), but I am sure that your surgeon will want to see you in follow-up to re-evaluate your progress.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Bump At 2 Months Post Surgery

+2

At about 2 months post-op, it is too early to be able to assess the results of your surgery.

The nasal irregularities you have noticed could be simply the result of asymmetrical swelling that is not uncommon among rhinoplasty patients.

Therefore, I recommend that you be a little more patient and to give mother nature the chance to take its course so the swelling resolves and the final definition of your nose will be revealed.

Usually, it takes about 12 months for the end-results of a rhinoplasty to get established; patients with thick nasal skin can take a little bit longer then 12 months to achieve the end-results.

Meanwhile, it is imperative to follow your surgeon's instructions religiously and to protect your nose from accidental traumas.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Hump Still Present After Rhinoplasty?

+2

9 weeks is very early to be too worried about certain areas that feel lumpy or uneven. It can take up to a year for swelling to resolve and for areas of scar tissue to become soft. I would make sure you are very patient in the beginning here and give this 3-6 months. If after that time you have areas of major concern your surgeon will then guide you. Even if you were my patient and it had been 6 months and you still had an area of concern I would wait for almost a year for any nasal revision simply because it takes that long for scar tissue to resolve. Operating in a field of scar can really make an already complicated surgery even more difficult.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Hump 9 Weeks Post Rhinoplasty

+2

It is too soon to determine if this is a residual hump or temporary swelling that will resolve. Wait another 3-4 months but discuss your concerns with your surgeon.