Hump Removal Without Tip Work? (photo)

I'm getting a nose job soon .. doctor says tip work isn't necessary , but I'm a little scared it will droop down after surgery ? is the tip gonna look the same after hump removal and bridge thinning ?

Hump Reduction without Tip Work in Rhinoplasty

+1

It all depends on the type of nasal tip. This will require a comprehensive analysis by your rhinoplasty surgeon. Hump reduction without tip work can be done but it is not done frequently. Often, both need to be done in harmony.

Effect of hump removal on nasal tip

+1

Hump removal actually causes the tip to elevate after surgery. This is because of scar tissue that contracts the tip upward, as well as an optical illusion after the surgery. Otherwise it will look the same. I have posted some of my own examples below.

Edmund Fisher, MD
Bakersfield Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump Removal without Tip Work

+1

The hump can be removed and osteotomies performed to close the open roof.  You may want tip work as well, but there is nothing particularly bothersome about your profile view with regard to your tip.  You would need an evaluation of the frontal view to make a true determination in this respect.  You have to remember that there is a great deal of variation in anatomy, and you do not have to meet anatomical norms to have a good result.  The point of any good rhinoplasty is to try to meet patient goals.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Rhinoplasty bridge work only or bridge and tip work

+1

From a single side view photo it is impossible to say that you do not need any tip work at all to start with. If you currently do not need tip work your post indicates you are worried that bridge work will make you need tip work later. To remove the hump the septal cartilage has to be separated from the tip cartilages. In doing so the ligaments between the cartilages are divided. Usually that is not an issue because in most cases the upper portion of the tip cartilages are trimmed allowing the tip to rotate slightly upward.

In your case the depressor muscles create a horizontal upper lip line on smiling. If you separate the tip cartilages from the septal cartilage and do nothing else to the tip it is my opinion that your overactive depressor muscles will pull the tip down.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Rhinoplasty without tip work?

+1

I think that based solely on your profile view that you need tip work as well as the dorsal hump. Best to be seen in person.

Hump removal rhinoplasty

+1

The photographs show a prominent nasal spine on hanging columella which will also need to be addressed in addition to the hump removal. After  hump removal, osteotomies will need to be performed. Without a frontal photograph it is impossible to determine whether or not any tip work will be required. Also important to see if there is a depressor septi ligament present which could be pulling the tip down upon smiling. This would be released at the time of the rhinoplasty.

The tip of the nose will not droop after hump removal during rhinoplasty.

+1

The tip of the nose will not droop after hump removal during rhinoplasty. if the tip is properly supported you need not worry about the tip drooping if it is done by an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon.

Dorsal hump removal for Rhinoplasty

+1

Hello 'odem22', thanks for your question.  Based on your side-view photo, I think you will definitely benefit from a dorsal nasal hump reduction rhinoplasty, which can be done with a closed technique, which should significantly decrease your swelling and recovery time.  I cannot tell if you need any nasal tip work without a frontal view, but I would not worry about the tip drooping down after hump removal since typically there is, if anything, tip elevation after the dorsal hump is taken down.  Be sure you go to a board-certified plastic surgeon for your procedure and you should have excellent results.  Good luck!

-Dr.92660

Parviz Goshtasby, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon