Hump in my nose 4 months after second rhinoplasty with cartilage transplant. Will it go down? (Photos)

Exactly a year ago I had a nose job that went terribly wrong. I ended up with the inverted V deformity and found a different surgeon to correct it. 9 months after the first operation, the surgeon went in and moved cartilage from my septum to the part of my nose that was "collapsed" and did some reconstruction on the tip. He claimed it was the worst nose he has ever had to fix. In the pics...I have a noticeable lump on my nose right where the cartilage was transplanted. Will this go down?

Hump issue

+2
If you had a complicated rhinoplasty, likely that your swelling will persist for a while.  Give it a good year to determine if you need a revision.

Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with my colleagues below, it sounds as though this was a complicated case and you can expect the swelling to last for up to a year.

It would be a good idea to set up a consult with your surgeon just to have him check the progress.

Antoine A. Hallak, MD, FACS

Supratip hump after rhinoplasty

+1
Possible reasons for the hump include the graft, swelling and scar tissue. Swelling and early development of excessive scar tissue have the potential for improvement with an injection of dilute kenalog. This is certainly worth discussing with your surgeon. Scar tissue is usually pretty firm and swelling can be a bit more "spongy". I've found that if my patients tape the area overnight and it's significantly better in the morning when the tape comes off, it's almost certainly just swelling and that will typically resolve. The time frame for that could be 6 months to over a year, occasionally even longer.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

The hump above your tip may be swelling only 4 months following Revision Rhinoplasty.

+1

Based on your description of your initial result, you appear to have a nice nose after reconstruction with cartilage grafting. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon, and ask if you might benefit from a dilute triamcinolone acetonide (steroid) injection to the area of fullness.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fullness in the nose

+1
You don't state exactly when you had your revision rhinoplasty but if I do the math from the time frames you provide it seems that you are about 3 months out from your surgery.  If so, please hang in there as it can take 6 or more months for all swelling to go away.  This is particularly important in your situation as revision rhinoplasties tend to have more swelling.  If after 9-12 month you still have this fullness, it certainly could be where the cartilage grafts were place and they can be tailored a bit.  Regardless, it appears that your surgeon took the proper measures to correct your problem.

John Frodel, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hump

+1
Thank you for the photos but I really need to do an examination and review your operative note to give an intelligent response. You appear to have a mild supertip deformity that can be swelling but I would return to my PS and get his opinion. dr. corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Hump in my nose 4 months after second rhinoplasty with cartilage transplant. Will it go down?

+1

If there is any concern, your should return to your surgeon for an assessment.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.