Huge Love Handles 6 Days Post Op?

I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair , a breast reduction and lift 6 days ago. My love handles are huge right now. I hope it's swelling. I did not get lipo, my surgeon didn't feel I needed it. They feel fluidy and I will see her on Friday . In the meantime I can't help thinking I will permanently look like this! Trying to add a photo but it's not allowing me too

Love handle swelling after tummy tuck

+2

That's a lot of surgery and, undoubtedly, you have a great deal of residual swelling in the soft tissues. This is not surprising given the length and scope of the procedures.  You need to give yourself the time (and patience) to heal.  Surgical recuperation isn't instantaneous, as I hope your plastic surgeon explained. 

TRUST YOU SURGEON UNTIL YOU HAVE REASON NOT TO DO SO!

+1

At 6 days you are looking in the mirror too much.  Quite worrying.  You trusted the surgeon to do your surgery so certainty stop this distrusting silly worry  at this point.  Of course, if down the road at 4 to 6 month the results don't please you then you have firm ground for a heart to heart with your surgeon.  Quit worrying.  Worrying hinders healing and makes patient feel not well.  My Best,  DR C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Love Handles after Tummy Tuck

+1

At 6 days postop, you have significant swelling present that can extend from the lower abdomen into the flank area.   I would follow the recommendation of your surgeon to see if tighter compression is necessary.   

I would recommend focusing on a safe and healthy recovery and as your body heals over the next 6-8 weeks, you should see quick resolution of this swelling.  Best of luck.

Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD