High Profile or Moderate Plus Profile Silicone for Narrow Chest?

I've been to 2 doctors and they recommend different silicone implants. One says hp and the other doesn't use hp and says to do moderate+. I'm concerned because I have a narrow chest area. I don't know how you measure it, but it is 28 inches around right below my nipple. I am flat chested with NO breast protruding out. I don't want to look like some of the pictures where they are pointing straight forward and look tight & fake. But, I am concerned that I'm not wide enough for the moderate+.

High Profile Implants For Narrow Chest

+3

Thank you for your question. It is important to trust your "gut feeling" about breast implants and your question is a wise one.

Visit your surgeon again, wear a non pradded bra and ask that both high profile and moderate profile breast implants be placed into the bra. This will give you some idea of the difference in look.

The most important factor for a natural look and to avoid looking tight and fake is the size of the implant that you choose. When you see tight fake looking breast implants usually too large an implant was used or the patient has a capsular contracture.

Both high profile and moderate profile plus implants can look natural and normal if a proper size implant is expertly placed.

Generally speaking a moderate profile plus breast implants is designed to give a more natural looking breast. The moderate profile plus breast implant is flatter and wider than the high-profile breast implant. In most patients this produces more cleavage and more fullness on the side of the breast which most patients find appealing.

The high-profile breast implant is narrower and higher or projects outward more from the chest wall. The high-profile breast implant will give more fullness of the breast above the nipple areola in most cases, but does not fill the outside of the breast or cleavage area as much

Since you have a small chest you may be a candidate for a high profile implant if you do not need fullness on the side of the breast and increased cleavage.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experiencing breast cosmetic surgery and has a good reputation in your local area.

It sounds like you're a better candidate for high-profile

+1

High-profile implants have a narrower base than a moderate profile implant, when giving the same amount of anterior projection. They're useful for someone with a narrow chest. To get the same projection with a moderate profile implant, it may extend laterally into the lateral chest region and this may not be the type of look you desire.

Joseph M. Perlman, MD

Implant width considerations

+1

You concerns are appropriate.  On one hand if you have a narrow chest you are limited to narrower implants.  Thus a high profile implant would give you more volume while maintaining a narrower width compared to a moderate profile implant.  This allows more volume without being too wide.  On the other hand a higher profile implant, with its more dramatic projection, is more likely to create a tight, fake look.  Your best option is to try on both a high profile and moderate profile implants and decide what look you like better when you look into a mirror.  Alternatively you can get a 3D scan to simulate what you would look like.  In my opinion, however, using and feel actual sample implants will give you a better feel for what you are getting into.

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Choose the implant to match your base width and desired "look"

+1

You have a narrow base width and this dictates a narrow implant.  You should try on both profiles and see which looks better in clothes.  Most of my current patients go with the Mentor HP gel if they are narrow becasue it gives them more projection and doesn't look too unnatural.  The Mod+ may just not give you enough for what you want.  You'll know once you try them on.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast implants for a narrow chest, flat, tight breast

+1

There is considerable debate about high profile breast implants and for some surgeons they are the 'hot' implant at present. With a narrow chest you will perhaps have a higher volume and projection with a high profile implant, but at what cost. The high profile implant in a very small or thin breast can look rather round and artificial. A moderate projection (not a plus) will look more natural. We suggest a focus on the look, not size alone.

peterejohnsonmd

High Profile or Medium Profile: Best Fit or Shape?

+1

The choice of a "best fit" is based upon the measurement of the width of your natural breast. Ideally, we want the implant to be about 1/2-inch less wide than the width of your breast so that the implant is completely covered by your breast tissue.

This minimizes the potential of feeling or seeing the edge of the implant.\

The choice of profile does also influence the shape of the breast. A high profile implant is fuller and rounder in the upper chest than medium- and low-profile implants.

Sometimes, it is necessary to decide between your desired shape and size to get the best fit.

Discuss this trade-off with your surgeon.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

High or moderate profile implants for a narrow chest?

+1

You are right, that choice of implants is based on measurements, your anatomy, breast base width, tissue elasticity, breast volume. You state that you are flat chested with NO breast tissue and you do not want "a tight and fake look". Personally, without the benefits of photos, I would recommend a low to moderate profile implant to give you a more natural look.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without knowing what volume ie: cc you are choosing, and what your breast diameter is, it is impossible to tell you how you would be best served.  The higher the pofile, the more the projection of the implant but the less the diameter.  Women who want cleavage are sometimes better off with the moderate plus, and women who want projection are sometimes better off with HP, but I say sometimes because it all depends on what volume implant you are choosing and what your breast width is.  This should be discussed with your surgeon.

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

High profile or moderate plus

+1

You are right when mentioning measurements whem trying to chose the correct implant for you. Once the dimensions and skin cahracteristics of your breast are understood there is an ideal implant range for you. The profiles provide flexibility in achieving your desired breast aesthetic. This can range from "natural" to appearing obviously augmented. Photos of breasts you like but also breasts you do not like will help your surgeon understand the look you are trying to achieve. Review photos with your surgeon and be sure they understand your goals.

Generally speaking narrow breast width and shorter distances from the calvicle to the nipple do well with high profile implants.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

High profile vs moderate profile silicone implants

+1

In my opinion, the high profile implants deliver a better volume to diameter ratio than the moderate profile implants. Since I switched to  high profile implants about 10 years ago the number of patients telling me "I wish I had gone bigger" has dropped dramatically. They have great projection and give very natural results! Hope this helps!

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon