On How Many Body Parts Should I Take Lipo to Be Safe?

1)I would like to get lipo on my ankles, calves, Knees and inner thigh on the same day, is it safe to do that.

2)I was a swimmer(active in all my life) but I have always had problem with my lower body. I have never could find boots that are my size.I am wondering if I am a good candidate for lipo or I should consider calf-reduction.

3)Moreover I am so afraid of general anesthesia and I am wondering if I can have them all done under local aneshtesia and if I should postpone some parts.

Saftey of liposuction depending on the number of body parts

+1

most plastic surgeons usually perform liposuction on one to two large body areas such as thighs and calves, or abdomen, and back. The limiting factor for the amount of safe liposuction has to do more with the total amount of fat removed and the health of the patient.

+1

I think the areas you are thinking about for liposuction can all be treated the same day as long as you do not have any major medical issues.  I do not think that a calf reduction is warranted and that the liposuction should be able to give you a desired improvement when all healed.  I think that if you want to avoid general anesthesia, then you could also consider it doing it under epidural anesthesia, same that they use for a C-section.

Julio Garcia, MD

Safety and anesthesia considerations for multiple area liposuction

+1

Safety with liposuction has more to do with the total volume of fat removed than the number of areas. It is very common to do thighs, knees, and lower legs in one session. There are really 3 options for anesthesia: local (tumescent), local plus intravenous sedation, and general. My guess is that most lipo is local plus IV sedation, though marketers of laser lipo procedures tend to exaggerate the risks of general anesthesia and try to convince patients that somehow laser lipo is safer because it is done under local. Remember that local involves infusion of the numbing agent lidocaine, which is safe up to a point but toxic at high amounts. The bottom line for safety and comfort is to remember that liposuction is surgery, so it should be performed by an experienced surgeon in an accredited surgical facility.

Richard Baxter, MD

Liposuction

+1

Liposuction can be done on several areas during the same setting. It really is a matter of your health and the amount of fat that is estimated to be removed in one setting.

How much liposuction is safe at one time?

+1

Looking at your photos, you do not look overweight which is a real plus when considering multiple body areas. Using standard concentrations of numbing fluid, it appears that you should be able to have all those areas done at once.

The tumescent method of using local numbing fluid with mild sedation is the safest way by far to have liposuction. Other key safety issues are:

1. Limit what is done to liposuction only. Sometimes it can be too hard on one's body to have other procedures done on the same day.
  2. Avoid other medications. Make sure your doctor knows all your meds and even supplements. Some medications like antidepressants require a reduction in the amount of numbing solution due to interactions. Also avoid aspirin, ibuprofen and Aleve. Tell your doctor if ANY OTHER PRESCRIPTIONS are given to you by others right before your surgery.
  3. Make sure you are otherwise healthy. Getting clearance by your primary care doctor may be helpful.

T. Wayne Day, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

How much Liposuction.

+1

The areas that you are talking about should not be enough to preclude you from getting them done at one time.  The current recommendation is not to extract more than 5 liters in an outpatient setting. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

It appears that you are a good candidate to liposuction on all of those areas in a single session.

+1

Judging from your photos, I think you would likely be a good candidate to have all of the areas you have mentioned treated during a single session of tumescent liposuction. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction under local does great for legs!

+1

You should do very good with local anesthesia getting your inner thighs, knees, calves and ankles done.  It is not too much to do at once and should be easy to undergo.  Make sure your doc uses the micro canulas and enjoy the new you. He/she will be able stand you up and fine tune your legs to help shape your legs nicely which you could never do under general anesthesia. I would avoid laser liposuction as well because of the increased risk of puckering, dimpling and skin burns in some cases.  Sincerely,

David Hansen,MD

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+1

The total amount of fluid injected and amount removed is a better parameter to measure than the number of areas liposuctioned in terms of whether or not to do one surgery or stage the surgery in more than one session. I do not see why you could not do all these areas in one session since the total amount to be removed does not look that great.

Your concern regarding general anesthesia though is not justified and in some cases the use of local anesthesia alone is more dangerous than general anesthesia. The best anesthesia for a given case is dependent on the surgeon, the patient, the anesthesia staff and the specific procedure performed including the length of surgery time. I have seen more problems resulting from large liposuction under local only than under local with some general anesthesia.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Liposuction of knees calves and ankles

+1

The areas you are concerned with, knees, calves, ankles, inner thighs, are not too many areas to consider at one time and they are all related to the shape of the lower leg. You will not need a general anesthesia, though sedation will help get you through all the 'sticks' given the multiple small areas. There is not a great deal of fat in the lower leg, and definition is often the goal, skinny is not.

Best of luck, peterejohnsonmd.com