How to Trust a Doctor for Liposuction?

Hello!!! Please helps me !!! I want to get a liposuction done with a doctor that seems like he knows what he is going. I had a free consultation and am excited about having it done next month, however, I came home to look for reviews for the doctor and I can't find anything. I'm a bit scared. Does anyone knows doctor Al Khalil, M.D ??? He works at the California Surgical Institute in Beverly Hills. Thanks a lot !

Check his Board Certification!

+2

Many non-plastic surgeons do liposuction and often have zero actual training in surgery. The law allows them to do this so it is a "buyer beware" market. The market in So. Cal. is especially competitive and has many more of these charlatans than most of the rest of the U.S. so you really need to be careful.

Ask for evidence of his being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery which is not recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties). Ask what hospital he has privileges in which to do liposuction because hospitals won't let these fake plastic surgeons have privileges. Finally ask your gynecologist for recommendations and if they have ever heard of this doctor.

Choosing a plastic surgeon for Liposuction

+1

Use a credentials check list.  Look for certification by the American Board of Plastic surgery. Ask where he was trained.  Where he went to medical school.  If you cannot get a good comfort level get a second opinion.  There are lots of good plastic surgeons in your area, and just because he is located in Beverly Hills doesn't necessarily guarantee quality or experience.

Mark A. Schusterman, MD

Qualifications of doctor for liposuction

+1

I would certainly agree with all the comments made here. There are several things to look for:

Board Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (and NOT the board of cosmetic surgery)

1. Training and successful gradualtion from a plastic surgery training program
  2. Patient referrals
  3. Doctor referrals
  4. Nurse referrals
  5. On staff at a Local Hospital
  6. Member in good standing with professional societies
  7. Member in good standing with the State Medical Board (you can call or go to the state board website)
  8. Experience
  9. Your personal comfort level

Few malpractice suits

Check on Board Certification

+1

Many doctors do liposuction without proper training. Ask to see his diploma showing certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Check the credentials of the Facility where the surgery will be performed. Is it JCAHO certified? Will the anesthesiologist be Board Certified? Talk to at least two other Plastic Surgeons, see all their credentials, and then decide who will do your surgery.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Reluctance to comment on other doctors

+1

There is a general reluctance for doctors to comment on other doctors. You can check on things like board-certification, privileges at major hospitals, training credentials. Much might depends on how you were referred to a doctor. Good doctors tend to refer to other good specialists so you might ask your internist or gynecologist. Ask to speak to other patients for their experience. Looking at photos can be deceptive and misleading. Your surgeon should be willing to spend time with you and discuss all your concerns. You might want to get one or two other consultations. At some point, it is like getting married. Be sure he has experience and a mannerism that will help you in case you get into trouble or have a complication. I have had patients who go to other doctors, get a complication, and then confess that they had a funny feeling about the doctor or didn't fully trust him or didn't answer there questions.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Do some research for liposuction doctors

+1

There are all different types of doctors doing liposuction. There are emergency room docs. There are OBGYN docs. There are neurologists. There are cosmetic surgeons. There are plastic surgeons. All of these doctors have a license and training of different types.

Plastic surgeons usually believe that board certification from a trusted group such as the American Board of Plastic Surgery is your best bet to make sure your doctor is properly trained. Do you call an electrician when your faucet leaks? Of course not. That being said there are still bad plumbers.

So, first of all, check his/her credentials. Then review his photographs and samples. Ask questions. Find out exactly what percentage of his/her practice is liposuction. Find out where he/she did his training? Was it at a widely known program for several years of intense training with renowned surgeons or was it a weekend course. Doing your homework and asking questions is your best bet!

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Checklist for a Liposuction doctor

+1

There is a check list to verify a surgeon credentials:

1. Verify plastic surgery training.

2. Board-certification

3. Society membership and academic affiliations.

3. Good pre and post-operative pictures.

4. Gut feeling: you have to feel safe with your surgeon.

5. You can ask to talk to some of their previous patients. Good luck!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS