How Can I Get Rid of Razor Bumps?

What do I have to do to get rid of razor bumps? Are there products I need?

Razor Bumps

+1

The best thing for razor bumps is exfoliation the day after shaving. If you shave everyday use an exfoliant to shave with. Another idea, Tend Skin is a topical solution you can put on after you shave. It usually helps with the bumps, be careful though because it can burn sometimes. If all else fails, Laser Hair Removal is great.

Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Getting to the root of "hair bumps"

+1

"Hair bumps" are a common problem for both male and females alike. Certain ethnicities are also more prone to developing more pigmentation (dark spots) from this condition. It is not uncommon to see this on medium to darker skin types in areas where the hair is most coarse such as the face or bikini area.

The medical term that describes this is "psuedofolliculitis barbae." When hair is coarse and/or curly, it has a tendency to want to retreat back underneath the skin and coil. Oftentimes, this condition is confused with acne lesions. The best, long-term treatment is laser hair removal.

This process is safe for all skin types if the practitioner has the appropriate technology and training. By destroying the hair root, the problem of ingrown hairs (hair bumps) is resolved. This has been an excellent option for our patients. In the meantime, using a single blade or electric razor is helpful, shave in the direction of the hair growth, and consider using a warm towel prior to soften the hair follicles. Using a medicated shave gel (ex: Benzoyl Peroxide) will help destroy the bacteria as well.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD