Post to Forum

What can I do to fade my permanent makeup eyebrow tattoo?

• mersia saparilla
  • 5 years ago

i had a tattoo 4 years ago and it was perfect, it just needed to be redone. i went somewere to have it reedone but she made it very thick and now i hate it. it's been one week but i want some lines to fade away. i don't have any idea what to do - is it possible with salt water or fade creams...? help!

View 2 doctor answers to Permanent Makeup Eyebrows

Comments (341)

Sort by

Had eyebrows tattooed dark brown, eek!… too dark for my light brown hair. Just put on powdered hair bleach (for blonding) and 20 developer. Eyebrowns now match my hair and no more Elvira.
  • Reply
Did you mix the powder and developer, spread it over the whole brow and it lighten the tattoo part? What about your natural brow hair, how was It affected? I got mine done 2 weeks ago and they are to dark and much larger then my normal line. I do need to fade them a little. Thank you.
  • Reply
Hi, I'm absolutely going through the Elvira brows as we speak. It's been 13 days since the brow job and I'm not liking the 'Elvira' drama! I too will do what you have done. However I'm a woman of color so I hope it'll work for me also. Thanks
  • Reply
I called a well-known tattoo removal clinic in the San Antonio, TX area and inquired as to what their success rate is in removing eyebrow tattoos. They have been in business 8 years and they told me that they no longer do any eyebrow permanent makeup removal. They tried it when they first started out in business, but there were too many problems and so they don't do them anymore. I research eyebrow removal methods from time to time, hoping to find a break-through, but too date I think that if one were to try any current removal method, whether it is laser or saline, or whatever, would be like playing Russian Roulette with your eyebrows: you might scar and the eyebrow hairs might be removed. Sadly, I guess I'll just have to continue with my regiment to cover them. If they had been done better in the first place, I would have them redone. But I don't want to put another layer of ink over an outline that I have to fix everyday.
  • Reply
Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I found a wonderful solution to my brows (which were too dark at first, but once they healed, turned the typical grayish color as did my eyeliner, which is somewhat common.) Both problems were solved in the following manner--for my eyeliner, I simply re-line my eyes with a black liquid eye liner. Once it dries, it stays in place nicely. Secondly, to thicken and enhance my tattooed brows, I use Colorstay eyeliner in brown, making light, short strokes until I build the brow sufficiently. Yes, it seems defeating the purpose of having perm. cosmetics, but color has a tendency to fade--whether it be paint on your car, clothing fabric, haircolor. etc. The beauty of having a tattooed outline to folllow is priceless and it only takes a few seconds per eye to make the adjustments. Overall, I am happy with mine--and can alter my look from day to evening, light to dark with more precise and natural looking results than with cosmetics alone. One caution: Do not "pick" on your tattooed areas as they heal--doing so can leave scarring and inconsistent coloring, especially for those of us fair-skinned ladies. Also, a light base of concealer and oil free foundation, then shadow, then lining is the method that works well for me. Best wishes for a good experience. :)
  • Reply
My tatooed eyebrows over 10 yrs ago to somewhat match my auburn hair have turned turned a purplish red. In addition I have plucked out the few hairs that I had. I have ocd hand continue to obsessively pluck. I often open the skin. This is what I do. At night I place a strip of paper tape across any damaged areas. When creating the brow in the morning: apply concealer with a small brush, apply matching powder with a small brush, apply eye shadow a shade lighter than hair, use a tapered brush to easily follow the brow line, roll a q-tip lightly over the brow to pick up any loose color. It works and can be done quickly once done a few times
  • Reply
When you apply the concealer and powder, are there brow hairs that get in the way, or are they gone because of the plucking?
  • Reply
When cosmetic tattoo is not touched up regularly (and it should be to keep it looking fresh), the tattoo pigment fades and often leaves the 'base' colour of the pigment used. In your case it has faded to red. This can easily be corrected by tattooing with the opposite colour on the colour wheel, ie it will change it back to the original colour. You may need a bit of a re-touch with the original colour after you have the correction done but believe me, it will be 100% better than the process you are going through right now.
  • Reply
I have terrible permanent brows tattoo. I need to be remove. , but dont want to done in laser. What can I do to get it out.. horrible ever in my life
  • Reply
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

This comment does not follow our Community Guidelines and/or Terms of Service. We reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.
  • Reply
Bindingbeauty. Thank you so much for help me out.....I buy it from the clinic.. and perform the procedures myself? . Or should I have they do it for me.... Or should I let
  • Reply
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

• Reply
Ok.. Thank you
  • Reply
what is happen for your brow . is ink removed or not and what a bout hair?
  • Reply
To date, I have not attempted to have the ink removed. I continue to apply Shiseido natural eyebrow pencil. I apply foundation on the part that is too high. I follow up with Anastasia clear brow gel. I end up with a darker eyebrow than I would prefer, because of the gray tattoo, but these two products stay on the best throughout the day. I don't feel any type of removal is safe without a high risk of scarring, or loosing the eyebrow hair.
  • Reply
Has anyone ever been left with scars from this procedure? Particularly fair-skinned, fair-haired people? Also, where are you located?
  • Reply
Have you ever had women develop scars from Eliminik?
  • Reply
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

• Reply
I find a lot of these comments really strange, when I looked at permanent makeup I knew I may need a colour boost at 12 months or maybe 18 months or more. I see people moaning that its gone grey or a different colour after some time, and it must be something that the artist has done wrong? No I go a massive sheet with mine, it told me everything, and it said this! Its possible in some cases for the colours to leave the skin first, so if you had brown eyebrows( brown is made from Yellow & Red, which gives orange than you mix a little blue) So its possible some of the colours leave the skin before the others, its normal, I would not blame my artist, as I know when this does happen, it may (as I said be 12 or 18 months) I will need a colour boost, they explain its good to fade down so changes to shapes and other things can be adjusted. My lady said to me that many people to not understand the colour theory, and they have a colour change after 12 or so months, go to another artists who says incorrect information (like the person did them wrong) and charge them for a solution. I still have a full print out from when mine were done, it explains everything in full detail. I did 2 years of research before I went ahead, I went with Heidi Worman (in the UK) she is the best, none told me all this they just wanted my money, Heidi has clients from around the world, you can see why.
  • Reply
Thank you Jenny. This is exactly what can happen. Every one's skin is different; ie some have more acid, more oil, hormone disfunction etc etc and this all affects how well colour is retained in the skin. You have been given the correct advice in regards to having a touch up - generally I advise between 12 months and 2 years, especially for the brow if Featherstroke method is used. A good therapist will ALWAYS discuss these important facts with the client.
  • Reply
I have finally figured out what to do about my eyebrows that have turned gray. After researching available tattoo removal methods for over a year, I have come to the conclusion that they are all too risky. I scar easily, am fair skinned, and I don't want to trade one deformity for another. My eyebrows have been on for about 8 years, and I understand the longer they are there, the harder to remove. I also don't want to have them redone. This is risky because they may end up too dark, mis-shapen, and then there is one more coat of tattooing. So, I began to experiment with makeup. In an earlier comment, I mentioned I tried covering them with Primetime eyelld concealer and penciling over them with a pencil from Sally's. This was not totally satisfactory, as it wore off quickly during the day, and I was left with the gray, again, before the day was over. I finally went to Macy's for help. I ended up ordering about six different pencils from them. (They all can be returned for a refund.) Fortunately, one worked for me. It is Shiseido Natural Eyebrow Pencil. I ordered the Ash Blond color. It is not a soft pencil, so the color lasts all day. It completely covers the gray, and the fine point (when sharpened) draws nicely over the thin tails of my eyebrows. It doesn't go really dark, as many pencils do. It will also adhere to the skin above the brow where I need to make minor adjustments to the shape. It has a soft brush on the other end that I use on my natural eyebrow hairs to stroke them up into place. Then I finish with a coat of Bare Escentuals clear eyebrow gel. This keeps them in place all day. I must add that the night before, I rub a coating of Kelocoate scar gel (cheapest purchased online from Costco) on the brows. By morning it has soaked in, leaving the brows slightly tacky. This helps, I'm sure, for the eyebrow pencil to adher better. My eyebrows look pretty good, with color like they had when first done 8 years ago. I haven't tested them when swimming. But for now, this will work and it doesn't take too long as I follow the tattooed eyebrow. I hope others may find this information useful.
  • Reply
If anymore else has decided that neither removal not corrective tattooing is right for you, her Eare some other tips for longer and better cover up makeup: start with clean,dry skin. Degrease the brow area with Q tip and alcohol. Wipe on a liquid antiperspirant  intended for use on the face available from major theatrical makeup stores on either coast. Spray hairspray heavily on another A tip and wipe that on the brow area. Now use your waxy eyebrow pencil. Finally, with a small brush or Q tip, apply either neutral face powder, colored powder eye shadow, or a mix of both, over the pencil to set it. For max protection, spray or dab hairspray on top of that. Better than hairspray are theatrical fixative sprays, including Joe Blasco Stay Spray and Ben Bye Final Seal.
  • Reply
Thanks, Jeff. I will have to try that and see if it works better than what I am doing.
  • Reply
let's see what your permanent looks like, Stylishus. Do you have any permanent makeup? Photos please.
  • Reply
Let's repeat my answer that Dramarama is so excited about. that a pretty comprehensive answer, yet she is all stirred up about one thing LOL aboututfacebynancy 26 Mar 2013 "there are several options to correct and / or remove the existing pigment. ranging from lasers, to needling, to exfoliation methods. also camouflage using other pigments over the existing to either change or hide the color. you should be patient about finding the right person to work with you, and it is possible to get a result that you will be happy with. "
  • Reply