How Soon is Too Soon?

How long do you recommend waiting after childbirth to have breast augmentation surgery? My son is six months old and no longer breast-feeding, is there any reason to wait? I am somewhat concerned about lifting him after surgery, since he is a big baby and obviously not able to do things like get out of his crib on his own.

Breast feeding

+1

My recommendation is to wait at least 6 months from the date you stopped breast feeding which is approximately the time it takes for breasts to "dry up".  If it has been 6 moths since you stopped breast feeding and you are still producing milk it is best to wait until there is no more milk.

Breast augmentation after child birth

+1

If your weight has come back down to pre-pregnancy and is stable and your breasts have stabilized, then it may be possible to offer augmentation at this point.   Waiting at least 6 months after delivering is probably a good idea.

Augmentation After Breast Feeding

+1

I generally wait for approximately 6 months after breast feeding has stopped.  The breasts will change drastically in that time period.  Once the breasts have stabilized, then the results of your surgery will be more predictable.  Picking up the baby or anything heavier than recommended can cause problems such as bleeding.  If you can enlist help at home, you can decrease your chance of such complications.  Best of luck.  

Joseph C. Berardi, MD

I recommend waiting three months after stopping breast feeding.

+1

There is no right answer and each surgeon has their own protocol.  I find three months to be adequate time after breast feeding to avoid complications and for the breast to "shrink" to their after childbirth size.  The more difficult issue is lifting the baby.  Lifting, pushing and pulling "too much" can result in bleeding after surgery, especially with under the muscle implants.  How much is too much and how soon is too soon is debatable.  I have seen bleeding occur four weeks after surgery when a patient lifted a baby, so I recommend six weeks after surgery.  This is difficult for mothers with young children but a second trip to the operating room for bleeding is also a problem.  So I think it is best to be avoided.  Hope this helps.

Michael S. Hopkins, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation after pregnancy

+1

I don't know that there is a set amount of time to wait after a pregnancy before having a breast augmentation.  Since your best results will occur after your tissues have stopped changing, this would be the time to do your surgery.  This amount of time may differ for each person.  As for lifting your baby, that is something you simply can't avoid doing.  You have to put your children into car seats and high chairs. I tell my patients to use common sense.  If you are doing something that hurts, either don't do it or get someone to help. 

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD