How Soon Can Fly Long Haul After Breast Enlargement?

This is a question only for YOUR OWN surgeon...

+2

This website is great for general information, but when it comes to an issue so specific, patients should rely only on the advice of their own surgeon. Nothing would make me more upset as a surgeon than to have a patient seek anonymous advice on the internet after I operated on them, replacing my advice that is specific for their situation by some generic advice by someone who hadn't met them.

Only your surgeon knows what he or she did; what your tissues were like; how bloodly things were; what their normal recovery pattern is with their techniques, etc. Ask your surgeon this question, and heed their advice!

Flying after breast enlargement

+1

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking you can fly after few days following breast augmentation. Your surgeon will determine Kane best time to fly back based on yours urgency and recovery. Best wishes.k

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Flying after cosmetic surgery

+1

I would recommend waiting at least two weeks after any breast enlargement surgery before flying. Make sure you can get up and walk around without much pain so that you can do this on the airplane. This will help to prevent any blood clots from forming in your legs. Also, if you have any complications, they'll usually happen within the first two weeks. Good luck!

Jeffrey E. Schreiber, MD, FACS

Frequent walks and good hydration can help avoid problems.

+1

There is no right answer for this question. The best advice is to avoid prolonged sitting with your knees bent a 90 degrees. The best position for flexing of the knee is approximately a 5 degree angle. It is important to take frequent walks and to stay well hydrated when flying for long distances.

Long haul clot

+1

There is no correct answer for this with the information provided. You should ask your board certified plastic surgeon his recommendation. He will know all of the details of your case, your history, medications, anesthetic, blood pressure variations, etcetera. That's your safest bet, particularly since it's a long flight. Above 15000 ft the pressurization of the cabin can cause clots to propagate.

If you have any risk factors, consider delaying the operation until after your flight.

This surgery is low risk but your inquiry begs the question of why you're asking it.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Flying and breast augmentation.

+1

Hi!

The risk of flying after surgery has to do with developing blood clots in your legs.  But the typical breast augmentation patient has a very low risk of blood clots.  So, for this particular operation, you can fly in a few days.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Flying and surgery

+1

Flying is ok about a week after surgery.  You want to be healing successfully without any problems.  I tell patients  to stay well hydrated and move around a lot on the plane to avoid developing a clot in their legs.

This is up to your plastic surgeon

+1

I allow patients to travel after surgery as long as I feel they are on the road to healing properly. There is a long converstaion about activity and lifting restrictions as well.

You have to be very aware that if you travel away from your surgeon and there is a problem that they need to see you for, you will need to return which can be a hardship.

All of these details need to be discussed with you plastic surgeon before you make you travel plans.

Dr Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Two weeks?

+1

This will really depend on your surgical assessment and type of procedure you undergo. For an uncomplicated breast augmentation, placed under the muscle, I prefer patient's not do anything vigorous such as lifting for about 2 weeks after surgery. My thought on this is that I do not want my patience to do anything that would increase the risk of bleeding. So, my answer to you would be 2 weeks, but that may not be the answer your surgeon gives to you.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Travel is Probably OK After Breast Augmentation

+1

I share the other doctors concerns about you remaining in town for any issues after surgery.

Travel of any form does slightly raise the risk of blood clot, and if you smoke, are on hormones, or have other risk factors a low dose blood thinner may be useful. 

John LoMonaco, MD, FACS