How Soon After CO2 Laser Resurfacing Can Restylane Be Used?

Fractional co2 laser and Restylane

+1

Our office can perform Restylane injection prior to CO2 laser. I would recommend post treatment filler once the skin is epithelialized.

2-4 weeks

+1

I would advise a patient to wait at least 2-4 weeks, or until I feel they are ready. Your doctor should follow you through your healing process and should give you recommendations on when it is safe to do any type of injection.
Best of luck to you!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Wait 1 month after CO2 Resurfacing to have Restylane

+1

If you know that you are definitely having the Restylane after the CO2 resurfacing, we would probably wait about 1 month.

While the answer to the question does depend on how deep the resurfacing treatment is, if you are getting the Restylane after the CO2, we would just feel better having you wait until the majority of the major healing has been completed -- which is almost always by 4 weeks.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane (or any filler) and Laser Resurfacing

+1

With laser resurfacing, but espeically with the Fraxel re:Pair in it's greater intensity I may wait as long as 2-3 months before using a filler as the changes occuring may continue for this period of time and you may need less filler than anticipated (unless the filler is in an area uneffected by the laser or you have had a superfical treatment).

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Wait for Restylane until swelling is resolved

+1

In theory, you could have Restylane and CO2 laser the same day, but I would wait 2-3 weeks. Since Restylane attracts water and absorbs fluid, swelling caused by the CO2 may cause the Restylane material to overly swell up and create too much fullness. It's best to wait a few weeks until swelling from the laser resurfacing has gone away.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

I wouldn't do this within a couple of weeks

+1

CO2 laser resurfacing is a major procedure and not one to trifle with by any means. If it is done correctly, you will have weeks of recovery time and adding one more variable to recover from will only worsen any complications if they occur (and they will in many cases).

While fillers such as restylane and others are quite safe when used alone, they have many side effects of their own such as bruising, swelling and the potential for pain. There is absolutely no reason to add these side effects to the known side effects of a CO2 laser and if you have a physician who is asking to do this, they are unaware of the magnitude of what they are doing to you or simply don't care about you.

There are many docs out there now who are doing procedures that are way out of their league and this sounds like a situation where you have a physician who doesn't have the skills or experience with this procedure to tell you 'no'.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

One to two weeks

+1

Hi,

Carbon dioxide laser resurfacing causes inflammation and swelling of the skin. I advise my patients to wait a week or two for the swelling to resolve before having Restylane or other fillers. I would not use filler and then immediately use the CO2 laser as the 1.5 mm penetration of the laser would affect the filler. Most patients do not need filler for months after the Fraxel re:pair fractionated CO2 laser due to improved tone and texture of their skin. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Possibly the same day

+1

Depending on the areas where you had CO2 resurfacing, the depth of the resurfacing, and surgeon preference, you may be able to have Restylane or other injectibles on the same day. There is no intrinsic reason to wait though I would inject the Restylane before undergoing any resurfacing to ensure that the desired result is achieved.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon