How to Remove Milia Under Eye Problem?

Can anyone tell me how to rid myself of under eye milia? I've heard that only a dermatologist can lance them. Is there not a treatment or cream that you can buy?

A combination of treaments works best for milia

+5

Milia are tiny little cysts. They may form from use of thick creams, rubbing the skin (especially in people who have itchy allergy eyes), or they may form for no identifiable reason.

The best way to treat milia depends on how many you have and where they are located. In almost all patients, I start with a topical retinoid cream to help exfoliate the skin and "open up" the milia. Regular use of a retinoid also reduces the formation of new milia.

For larger milia, I sometimes use a chemical peel or "lance" them and extract the contents. Or I may use a light electric current to remove the top layer of skin over the milia and destroy it.

Your skin tone may also help determine the best method of treatment. Patients with darker skin tones have a higher risk of discoloration, so I am very conservative and very careful in their treatment.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Milia removal under eyes

+4

Most milia, tiny white balls under the skin, appear under the eyes. The can be simply and safely extracted by your dermatologist, and occasionally a well trained nurse or esthetician. Once they are formed, there is no cream or pill that can get rid of these annoying little bumps. 

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Milia - Prevention and Treatment

+1

Consult with a dermatologist regarding why you have this problem and make sure it is milia and not a different cause such as cholesterol deposits, a sign of hyperlipidemia (too high cholesterol in the blood) requiring treatment. In general prevention consists of not using thick greasy ointments and using a retinoid such as Retin-A.

Milia are trapped whitish material (keratin) beneath the skin often following eyelid surgery. These tiny cysts have a thin almost translucent skin covering which is usually opened, unroofed, with the tip of a needle allowing the contents to be removed. A simple and often painless office procedure.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Creams dont work so well for milia.

+1

I find that topical creams do not work well for milia. I lance them, or perform light electrocautery, with good results. The procedure is hardly painful, but  you can also do it with numbing cream.

Make sure to use a sunscreen regularly!

Renita Lourdhurajan, MD, DNB
India Dermatologist