How Can I Prevent Cellulite?

The about website posts an article on preventing cellulite.  They interviewed Dr. Murad who gave a bunch of tips.  Before i go nuts on these, do you agree that this is the way to go to prevent cellulite:

• Eat a good diet with lots of fruits and leafy greens.
  • Avoid junk food, diet soda, processed food and saturated fats such as butter and animal fats.
  • Avoid toxins like excessive alcohol and cigarettes.
  • Brush your skin with a simple natural bristle body brush every morning.
  • Maintain your healthiest weight.
  • Finish your daily shower with a cold rinse to tone your skin.
  • Take Glucosamine supplements, which helps your body repair the dermis and connective tissue.

Preventing Cellulite is not so easy.

+2

I think Dr Murad's tips are great for an overall healthy body when it comes to diet although I would include moderate exercise as beneficial as well.  As far as specifically preventing cellulite, I am not at all sure that is possible.  Daily brushing of the skin does improve circulation temporarily and may help  milk out excess fluid that contributes to the rippling.  At the moment the best approach has been treatments like Thermage that tighten the skin and Triactive that massage and stimulate the tissues. 

Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellulite is the result of two different processes

+2

The waviness evident on the legs of many woman and a few men known as cellulite, is the result of fascial bands attaching from the underlying structures to the skin. These bands hold the skin in place so that it does not slide down our body like a pair of old granny underwear.

The reason cellulite appears is because;

1- The fat surrounding the bands are pouching out, making the band attachmentments look like puckered areas. The best way to treat these bands is to maintain an healthy weight.

The reason these are more often evident in women then men, is that the fascial bands are evenly distributed in a man's skin. In contrast, women tend to have the bands attach in bunches.

Newer technology focuses on stretching these bands either temporarily (endermologie) or permanently (thermage) are not great. A new idea being tested is to dissolve the worst fascial bands with injections of collagenase. This would allow the puckered areas to soften. The vote is still out, but that treatment sounds promising.

2- The second reason for cellulite, is large weight shifts that stretch out the skin. As the weight loss occurs and the skin sags, the rigid fascial bands cause puckering. This would suggest that maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding large weight shifts is essential. It also suggests that a healthy diet, that maintains good skin health is also essential.

In review of Dr. Murad's advice, he is correct, but only half way there!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Try Cellulaze to diminish cellulite

+1
The best way to diminish the look of cellulite quickly and painlessly is Cellulaze. This is the first long-lasting cellulite reduction treatment though one minimally invasive application. Cellulaze will smooth out the skin while keeping it cellulite free.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Cellulite Treatment

+1

Cellulite is genetic.  It can be difficult to prevent.  For the treatment of cellulite, I would recommend you evaluate Cellulaze - a FDA approved one time treatment that utilizes a 1440 nm wavelength laser to accomplish 3 things:  1) melt away fat bulging out 2) break up fibrous septae (attachments) that create the indentations and 3) help thicken the dermis (skin) to prevent future recurrence.   The procedure can take between 60-90 minutes and can be completed under local or just IV sedation (depending on the length of your procedure and number of areas being treated). To see your final results takes between 3-6 months. You can visit the cellulaze . com website to learn more about the procedure and find a plastic surgeon who performs the procedure near you. Best of luck!

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Treating Cellulite

+1

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, cellulite cannot be prevented. I would suggest Cellulaze to reduce your cellulite. Cellulaze is the only minimally invasive laser procedure designed to attack the structure of cellulite beneath your skin. It delivers longer-lasting results after only one short treatment. It is the first and only cellulite laser treatment that treats the actual problems underneath the skin to deliver a proven longer-lasting result from just one simple treatment. Cellulaze is backed by many years of clinical research. Studies have shown it increases the thickness of your skin by 25% and the elasticity of your skin by 29%—significant claims that haven't been made by any other treatments. Thicker and more elastic skin can help flatten and smooth the skin surface to improve the appearance of cellulite. In addition, 93% of patients surveyed were satisfied or very satisfied with their results at one year post their procedure, and all would recommend the Cellulaze cellulite laser treatment to a friend.

Daniel Shapiro, MD