How Old to Get a Gull Wing Lip Lift?

I would like a gull wing lip lift because my lip sags down too low. It makes me look like I have no upper lip. I have contacted a cosmetic surgeon in Australia who does this but they have said I am too young to have this done (I'm 23). I thought the scarring in a gull wing lip lift was quite hidden because the incision is made where the pink part of your lip meets the skin of your top lip. Does this procedure cause scarring when done on a patient who is too young? If so, how bad would the scarring be?

Lip Lifts and Scarring

+1
Any surgical procedure that uses an incision heals through the formation of a scar.  The intent of plastic surgery is to place such scars in inconspicuous areas, or to facilitate the formation of scars that are not obvious.  Lip Lifts are generally performed in older patients that have skin with adjacent wrinkles in the lips, or relatively supple skin that heals with inconspicuous scars.  I perform lip lifts myself in all ages of patients and have used many different techniques, but find the tradeoff in younger patients to be troublesome in that I cannot completely predict the quality of a scar that may be obvious and potentially disagreeable.  I think this is a big price to pay, and would explore other options to augment your lips such as fillers whether temporary or permanent.  If you do decide to pursue a lip lift, please obtain multiple consultations by surgeons board certified in Plastic Surgery, perform lip lifts with frequency, and can show you some results, including complications.   
Good Luck.

Lip lift

+1

Scarring after lip lift unpredictable, and potentially irreversible.  Be careful, and get several opinions.

Steve Laverson, MD

Lip lift

+1

Performing a lip lift depends on the appearance of your lip. Age does not necessarily matter, however it is most commonly performed on older women whose lips have elongated and they need to be lifted. In some rare instances it may be beneficial to a younger person if they have genetically elongated upper lips.  Please visit with a surgeon who has experience with this procedure in order to get an opinion.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

Never get a gull wing lip lift

+1

The scar is not attractive at all because it flattens the white roll of tissue that perks up between the red part of the lip and the regular skin of the upper lip.

Better try the Bull horn scar, it is well hidden under the nose. Watch the video below to see some examples.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Gull wing versus Bull's horn lip lift

+1

Most surgeons will prefer the bull's horn lift in an individual your age as opposed to the gull wing lift with its potential for a more visible scar.

You will have more scaring than a older patient

+1

You may benefit from lip augmentation using dermal graft. Gull wing lift works better on older patient because they do not scar as much. Picture of your lips will be helpful.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Lift lip

+1

Any time an incision is made anywhere, a scar wil be present. In what you describe as an upper lip lift, the incision may be noticeable at the white roll.