How Old Do You Have to Be to Get Labiaplasty?

Labiaplasty in Teens

+1
I frequently see distraught teens brought in by their moms to have labiaplasty for enlarged labia that are either causing discomfort or visual distress. The critical factor is the maturity of the teenager and the lack of any coercion from the parent.

Jersey City Cosmetic Gynecologist

Labiaplasty age

+1
Some teenagers have a significant problem with excess labia that causes embarrassment and discomfort.  If they are asking for a solution and have the parent's consent, we would do the procedure after puberty.  It is interesting that insurance will often cover this for them but not for adults.  I feel that it is important that the teenager is asking for the surgery rather than the parent asking as the teenager is too young to give legal informed consent.

Susan Kolb, MD

How old does a patient need to be for a labiaplasty?

+1

Once a patient's genetalia has quit developing, labiaplasty is a good procedure forl large labia that cause discomfort, hygiene issues and/or embarrasment. If a young lady is under 18, she will need consent from a parent or guardian.

I view this much the same as I veiw breast reduction in young women. There is no need to wait once the patient has quit developing.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

Labiaplasty age

+1
I do not perform labiaplasties on women less than 18 years of age. This is primarily a medicolegal decision and not physiologic. Best of luck.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty age requirements

+1

There are no age requirements for labiaplasty, however, any surgery performed on a person under 18 requires parental approval.  Labiaplasty can be very helpful to women with significantly enlarged labia minora who suffer from discomfort, hygiene issues, difficult wearing clothing, etc.

I strongly suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about this procedure and wish you the best.

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Age for labiaplasty

+1

I have performed a labiaplasty on many teen-agers and even on one girl who was twelve. However, all the girls had significantly enlarged labia minora and suffered from discomfort. They were very self-conscious.  All of the girls did very well with elimination of their discomfort and embarrassment.   Of course, you need parental approval if you are under 18.  

Gary J. Alter, MD

Age Requirement for Labiaplasty

+1

Labiaplasty surgery should wait until a young woman is 18 years of age and can legally consent to this procedure by herself.  However, this surgery on someone under 18 can, and at times, should be done if a person has psychological or physical disabilities related to macrolabia.  I have done several wedge resections on young women in their late teens, both because of congenitally enlarged labia minora or due to early pregnancy with a long labor.  In this age group, this surgery can often relieve young women of debilitating insecurities. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora surgery and age

+1

Age is not the primary determining factor whether a patient is a candidate for labia minora surgery.  Patients under the age of 18 may be good candidates for the procedure if the physical and/or psychosocial indications exist. However, like any other elective procedure, patients should not undergo this procedure until they are capable of understanding the potential risk and complications associated with procedure.

One of the happiest patients in my practice is a 16-year-old female with congenital hypertrophy of the labia minora (symptomatic in many ways) who underwent labia minora reduction surgery.

Age limit for Labiaplasty

+1

I would not recommend Labiaplasty in the pediatric age group unless there is a medical reason to do so. Otherwise, there is no specific age limit; the procedure can be performed anytime you feel the need.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Labiaplasty age limits for surgery

+1

Labiaplasty can be performed in all ages.  In young patients, this may be a reconstructive problem rather than a cosmetic concern. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS