How Often Do Smart Lipo Side Effects Occur?

My friend got regular Liposuction done a year ago and her tummy ended up terribly bumpy, hard and uneven. Then, she went for smart lipo six months ago and her tummy got better but it still has bumps and hardness. I want to have the procedure done but I am scared of ending up with the same results! What could have caused this, and how often does it happen? I am looking for arms, back, thighs, and tummy, and I want to lose from 15-20 lbs.

Remember that liposuction is not for weight loss

+2

Properly applied, liposuction is used to contour high points or areas of excess fat in an otherwise healthy patient who has done all they can with proper diet and exercise. It is not designed to lose weight and certainly not in the 15-20 pound range.

Lumps and bumps can occur after any kind of liposuction and Smart lipo doesn't protect you from this.

Any poorly done lipo smart or not can cause irregularities

+1
Having extensive experience with both smart and not smart lipo irregularities from any lipo is much more due to the surgical technique and skills of the particular surgeon as it mostly pertains to how they are dealing with the skin from underneath. Any time ther is disrespect to the under part of the skin called the dermis it will respond and contract irregularly causing an indentation or bump. Despite all the marketing hoopla smart lipo is not going to prevent this and I would even go so far to say that in my mostly revision lipo practice, the number one cause for poor results that I see from other surgeons is from smart lipo that was poorly done. Choose and trust the surgeon, not the machine!

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

It all depends on the skill of the surgeon as to your final results

+1

It may seem that any surgeon will do the same job with a laser procedure, but that couldn't be further from the truth.  Liposuction requires quite a bit of skill and finesse, so it is important to go to someone who really knows what they are doing.  Good luck with your procedure and check out your surgeon carefully in advance!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist