How Long Will a Collagen Injection Last?

Collagen does not last as long as hyaluronic acid fillers for the lips

+1

Great question. Collagen has been replaced by a new generation of fillers for the lips. Collagen was offered for injections in the 1990s but had limited longevity and some allergic risk. They have been replaced by things like hyaluronic acid gels which are easier to inject, longer lasting, and without allergic risk. I would recommend Juvederm Ultraplus which is a smooth gel that I utilize to plump and shape the lips. These fillers are temporary and reversible.

Collagen injections don't last very long compared to hyaluronic acid gels

+1

Collagen filler is a naturally-derived filler product - previous collagens were from bovine sources (cows), human sources (cadaver) and porcine sources (pig tendon). Not very glamorous sources, but collagen is a protein and thus far science has not been able to come up with a synthetic one for use in the skin.

Because they are non synthetic, they tend to break down very quickly. Most patients saw a 3 month duration - some a little more and others a little less. Recently Evolence was on the market for a brief period and was to have lasted 6 months or longer, but the economy hit it too hard to stay so for now, we only have the bovine and human collagens.

Because the newer hyaluronic gels such as Restylane and Juvederm last twice as long, they've pretty much taken the place of collagens for primary wrinkle filling and lip augmentation, but you can still get collagen if you desire.

Rebecca Fitzgerald, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Collagen fillers

+1

Most collagen fillers are very short lasting as your body can break it down easily. Many of these are being phased out and the latest to fall was Evolence, a pig collagen. I was not one of the doctors who added this to my practice because I did not see an advantage over the hyaluronic acids and did not feel it would benefit my patients.

Subsequently, this product has been pulled from the market. We are not aware of any real safety issues that may have prompted this at this time, but clearly this product did not perform to standards that met the needs of the patients and the doctors or it surely would have maintained its place in the filler world...stay tuned...One rule that is good to live by is don't be the first to use a device and don't be the last to stop using one!

Shawn Allen, MD
Boulder Dermatologist

Evolence up to a year

+1

Evolence the newest collagen filler will last 6 months to a year. It is derived from porcine (pig) collagen with the non-human part cleaved off. Until recently it was sold by Johnson and Johnson. However, last week they announced they were no longer going to be marketing it.

Collagen Corporation, long since absorbed, was the original producer of collagen filler, I believe back in 1982. It came in two forms Zyderm for shallower lines and Zyplast for deeper correction.Zyderm and Zyplast were derived from bovine collagen. They required prior skin tests. It is still being made, but most likely will be phased out. It only lasted 3-4 months and took more expertise than the currently available products.

Cosmoderm/Cosmoplast came along, offering collagen from human source human. foreskin. Cosmoderm is preferred by many physicians correcting the fine lines, say around the mouth.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Zyplast or Zyderm

+1

Collagen is currently being phased out of the market as the new hyaluronic acid fillers are becoming more popular. Collagen injections to the lips typically last 4-6 months while the hyaluronic acid based fillers last twice as long. Collagen is sold thru Allergan. It comes in two variates Zyderm and Zyplast.

Robert Vitolo, MD

Collagen Injections do not last long

+1

Collagen was one of the first fillers on the market many years ago. They are not as popular today since they do not last long. Generally, collagen injections last around 3 months compared with Hyaluronic fillers like Restylane which typically last 5-7 months(or more).

Also, the Hyaluronic fillers (Restylane, Juvederm, Perlane) are more fluid like substances which tend to attract water to the tissues for a softer look. They are well tolerated and have minimal down time as far as recovery is concerned.

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon