How Much Weight Can Safely Be Lost with Smart Lipo?

I have researched SmartLipo and I truly want to do this. I have lost and kept off 60lbs for over 5 years and even had a baby during this time. I am a size 14, 5ft1 and I am just stuck (and have been for a long time) and ready for a change. My problem areas are my double chin, back flanks and upper thighs.

I am just curious how much reduction is safely possible. Can anyone advise?

Liposuction isn't for weight loss and never will be.

+3

Liposuction rarely results in any weight loss unfortunately. The fat that is contained in the body is actually very light (sort of like feathers), but takes up a bit of space. Usually, even a 2 to 3 liter liposuction won't result in more than a pound of weight loss.

It sounds like you need more than this and may even want to consider bariatric surgery. While this won't usually do anything for 'loose skin', it has a track record of weight loss. Good luck.

Omaha Dermatologist

Liposuction is for contouring not for weight loss

+2

The proper application of liposuction is to treat areas of your body where focal excess fatty deposits exist despite all your best efforts at diet and exercise. In general, the happiest patient is one who can point with one finger at the specific areas of interest and the least satisfied patient is the one who wants an "all over" kind of result or is expecting specific inches or pounds to come off.

It may well be that at your height, with a 60 lb weight loss, you have enough extra skin that no liposuction (Smart or traditional) will work well since liposuction results are dependent on your skin's ability to shrink. Smart lipo has never been proven to result in better skin shrinkage so don't allow marketing claims to fool you into the wrong procedure.

You might want to go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can do all of the procedures and find our what might be the best plan of action for your own unique case.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction is generally not for weight loss

+2

Liposuction procedures are designed to sculpt and reduce areas of unwanted fat that don't go away with diet and exercise. When used in this setting, liposuction with or without laser lipolysis is highly effective. It is not meant to be a weight loss procedure.

Many physicians have limits on how much fat they will remove at one time. There are various guidelines that suggest safe fat removal limits based on a patient's body weight. Mega volumes of fat removal are controversial- some say that 5,000 ml of fat is the limit of safety (reference: http://cosmeticsurgery.org/surgeons/2006_liposuction_guidelines.pdf).

Brett S. Kotlus, MD, MS
Scarsdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Not to lose weight

+1
Liposuction is for spot reduction, not for weight loss. Although you won't see a big difference in how much you lose, you will see the areas that you got treated reduce in circumference. So, after you get your surgery, don't look at the scale. Instead, look in the mirror to see if you like what you see.

Michael Constantin Gartner, DO
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Not a method of weight loss

+1
You should reach your ideal stable weight first before proceeding with any cosmetic surgical body contouring procedure. Being within a normal BMI range dramatically improves your surgical outcome and is safer for you as well. Smartlipo is not a form of weight loss. It is only for localized fat deposits that you weren't able to get rid of through exercise and diet alone.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

No Weight Loss with SmartLipo

+1
You can expect minimal to NO weight loss from the SmartLipo procedure. You will however notice a difference in the way your clothing fits, as well as an overall contour to your body shape.

David L. Robbins, MD, FACS
West Des Moines Plastic Surgeon

Any form of lipo not for weight loss but contouring

+1
Please remember as others have rightfully said, any form of lipo is about targeting disproportionate stubborn areas of fat and not for losing weight. This reproportioning and contouring is the surgeons responsibility. The weight loss is yours. But if you mean how much fat can be removed with liposuction surgery safely at one time it has been defined as 5 liters whether done under local tumescent or general anesthesia. This equates to about 12 pounds of pure fat. But remember also that a perfect result natural looking result is so should not be measured by how much fat was removed but by how great looking the result is.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon