How Much is Enough Experience for Injecting Fillers?

I have had Botox injections by a doctor I felt really comfortable with, and who gave me a very educational consultation about Botox and Juvederm. At the time I wasn't ready (financially) to get the Juvederm done, but now I am. Turns out he has had two years experience of injecting fillers. My question is: is it enough? His assistant had injections done by him and it looks good but naturally I am overly careful when my face is concerned. He seems to be very knowlegable, but of course practice makes a master. Please let me know what you think.

Be equally concerned about quality

+2

It is not just about your physician’s experience or number of tissue filler injections, but also about your injector’s results and outcomes. Find out about your physician’s education and training. Try to get a handle on his skill level. If he/she comes recommended by someone you know and you like their results…great! Most times, this is not the case and you need to find a quality injector. Evaluate the injector’s work by reviewing pre/post procedure photographs of their patients. Don’t’ get me wrong, you do need to see someone that is treating a reasonable number of patients, at least 8-12 per week. But, I would caution you about targeting only quantity, when you should equally be concerned about quality!

Thanks for your question. I hope this helps!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Experience is important

+2

You are correct to be careful in choosing your provider and experience is a key part of making the right decision.

The question is a little complicated. A board certified plastic surgeon or a board certified dermatologist likely needs comparatively fewer (emphasis on comparatively fewer) hands on injections than someone who's primary training did not include training in issues of injectable safety, facial bone and soft tissue structure, management of complications and relevant anatomy.

When dealing with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist I would think 50-100 injections would be a good baseline. Additional very important questions to ask would include how often patients need to come back for touch-ups or revision treatment and how many and what type of complications they have had. The answer to these questions can be very indicative of how well a doctor's technique has evolved.

Steven Williams, MD

Steven H. Williams, MD

Facial fillers

+1

2 years of experience is probalby more than enough, but you should have faith in your doctor as well.  A good aesthetic eye is important. Make sure that he/she is board certified in one of the core fields ( plastic surgery, facial plastic, dermatology, or oculoplastic.)

Find out how many "fillers" he does per week

+1

There is no guarantee with any surgeon, but as you said practice makes perfect. Find if he's doing one a month for two years or 30 a month for two years. Ask to see other patients on the days that he's doing fillers on "old" patients. That will minimize the risk.

How Much is Enough Experience for the Injection of Fillers?

+1

Hi Kats,

The more experience the better. Two years of injecting many patients should be enough experience. Choose a physician board certified in one of the cosmetically oriented specialities...facial plastic surgery, ent, plastic surgery, opthalmoplastic surgery, or dermatology. A sense of beauty and aesthetics is also important. Good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD