How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?

I had 3 c-sections and planning to have a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) done, but I'm not sure how much a tummy tuck costs.  What are average tummy tuck prices? 

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Tummy tuck prices.

+6

Thanks for your question.  Tummy tuck prices can vary all around the country.  Some geographic areas are simply more expensive than others.  Some surgeons charge more and some charge less.  Some surgeons price the surgery by your height and weight while others may use time in the operating room to give a reasonable estimate.  Full tummy tucks are generally more expensive than mini tummy tucks.  Tummy tucks for massive of weight loss can be more extensive and cost more.

In my own practice I publish pricing for average patients which I try to adhere to.  Some surgeries may take longer and some may take less but I find that quoting an average price is more comfortable for the patients.

I agree with others on this site that ultimately you should not choose your doctor by price, but choose based upon your confidence his or her level and experience.  Saving a few dollars will never make you happy if you've not chosen the right physician.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Price of tummy tuck

+18
There is no 1 price for a tummy tuck since no 2 procedures are exactly alike. Beware of “price lists” offering cookie cutter surgery.
Cutting costs by cutting corners in a tummy tuck can result in unfavorable results or possibly serious complications.
After checking a surgeon’s background, training and experience look at before and after photos. Scars around the belly button are a dead giveaway of a tummy tuck. There should NOT be visible scars around the belly button. Fullness in the upper abdomen is a result that would not be the ideal for most patients. Plastic surgeons who are unable to create natural looking belly buttons, or who rush through surgery without addressing upper abdominal fullness may charge lower prices than plastic surgeons who have the training, ability and interest in providing the very best possible result.
Some physicians charge an additional fee for body garments, pain control devices and even monitoring after surgery.
Select your plastic surgeon based on the quality of their work, not the price they charge for surgery. The most expensive plastic surgeon is not always the best, but the lowest price is definitely not the best way to choose a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck or any other surgical procedure.

Web reference: http://www.michaellawmd.com/tummy-tuck.html

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How MUCH is a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)?

+15

My 2010 fee for a full or standard Tummy Tuck (also called Abdominoplasty) is 4,200 dollars. I purposefully set my charge to be both affordable in the Memphis market and competitive when compared to the significantly higher national charges for the same operation. According to The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), the 2009 average American Plastic surgeon’s fee for a Tummy Tuck was 4,936 dollars.

You should also be aware that different Plastic surgeons’ professional fees may cover different things. My fee covers your initial Consultation, up to 3 pre-operative visits, the cosmetic surgery professional fee and follow-up for 1 year after your surgery. Make sure you understand what your surgeon’s fee will pay for.

There is a large multi-factorial variation in Plastic Surgery prices. For your safety, stay away from both very low and high price extreme.

TWO IMPORTANT FACTS TO REMEMBER:
An overinflated price does NOT guarantee quality and an unreasonably bargain basement low price is never a bargain but frequently is a gamble on your safety and well-being.

Price extremes in Cosmetic Surgery are intentionally set to attract very 2 very different groups of people.

Extravagant Plastic Surgery prices are INTENDED to suck in 2 groups of people: the “label snobs”(those who either enjoy proving their worth by over-spending on everything) and those yearning to reach Hollywood’s supposed elite through Cosmetic Surgery (“I want a Facelift by Dr. X because he operated on startlet 1, starlet 2 and we think starlet 3…”). Ridiculous high prices (“If you need to ask – you can’t afford me” Plastic Surgery) are also meant to bring in those who do not want to do their research; The “If he charges so much, he MUST be good” school of thinking individuals. Many surgeons intentionally charge huge fees to over-inflate their attractiveness to these spend-happy individuals who assume that excellence must be expensive.

Extreme Plastic Surgery bargains are INTENDED to draw in 2 different groups of people: First, are individuals who cannot afford cosmetic surgery but are insistent on getting it anyway by focusing on bargain basement prices rather surgeon training and experience. The other group is the shoppers – We all know them. People who, regardless of their income, never met a bargain they could walk away from (The garage sale, Priceline.com centered, the coupon wallet carrying, “Is this your best price?” shopper).

When SHOPPING FOR A “DEAL” WHAT RED FLAGS SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR?

The TOTAL cost of Cosmetic Surgery is made up of 3 components; the surgeon’s fee, anesthesia charges and facility charges. There is no free lunch. Most of the time, you are getting what you pay for. An amazingly low fee usually means that one or more of these components has been compromised and that you are taking a risk. Cheap Plastic Surgery should raise safety concerns and each of these 3 components deserves your careful consideration.

- SURGEON’S FEE – The surgeon’s fee is based on geographic factors (with higher fees being common in major cities such as New York, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, Los Angeles etc) and on the experience of the surgeon doing the surgery (less experienced surgeons may charge a lot less). Finally, with the current state of the economy many surgeons lowered their fees.

Plastic Surgery is an expensive occupation. Quality Plastic Surgery graduate training is very competitive and hard to get into requiring an excellent academic record and years of hard work in medical school and preceding residencies. Plastic Surgery training is also the longest training in American Graduate Medical Education. Real Plastic surgeons accumulate a lot of debt during their long years of training. Moreover, the cost of running a Plastic Surgery office is higher than many other specialties. This financial burden is then added to a high pre-existing educational debt which must be paid off.

As a result, real board-certified and experienced Plastic surgeons (ASPS members) will usually charge more than wannabe doctors who are NOT certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). (These other “Plastic surgeons” are a large group made up of doctors who never formally trained in a Plastic surgery residency and who literally practice Plastic Surgery. (They have either certified in other specialties (such as gynecology, Family practice, ER Medicine, Internal Medicine etc) and may be certified by commercial non-American Board of Medical Specialties Boards-ABMS), or are practicing medicine illegally (either foreign unlicensed doctors or not doctors at all)). To FULLY understand the real meaning of Board Certification and who your doctor may really be, please follow the link below.

It is EASY to separate real Plastic surgeons from the others. Find out
1. Is he/she certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS)?
2. Does he/she have unlimited Plastic Surgery privileges at one or more local hospital?
Not having hospital privileges in Plastic Surgery (i.e. being allowed to practice Plastic Surgery) in a local hospital is very worrisome and should raise many red flags. It may mean that for several reasons (such as deficient or improper training, past legal history or ethical issues) the hospital refused to expose itself to lawsuits by having your surgeon operate on its staff. You should seriously reconsider having your surgery with this physician.

- ANESTHESIA FEE – An inordinately cheap anesthesia fee should be another red flag. It means your anesthesia will be poor and/ or provided by an under- or poorly trained individual.
Your comfort and safety are important. For patient comfort and surgical accuracy, the vast majority of Plastic surgeons prefer to perform Tummy Tuck surgery under general anesthesia.

Generally speaking, Tummy Tuck anesthesia can be given by:
1. Your surgeon (cheapest, least effective - NOT a good idea). The vast majority of Plastic surgeons prefer doing Tummy Tuck surgery under general anesthesia because of its safety, accuracy and comfort of the patient. When a doctor performs his Tummy Tuck under local anesthesia in his office surgery room it usually means that local anesthesia may be the ONLY choice of anesthesia he can offer because of his training, board certification and issues in his past, he is not allowed to operate in a local hospital or surgery center.
By having surgery under such conditions, you will be subjecting yourself to a surgeon which the local hospital is not willing to risk exposing its patients to. Is this really a great deal? Think long and hard.
2. A nurse anesthetist (CRNA) – which must be supervised by a doctor. Or
3. Doctor (anesthesiologist).
Either of the other anesthesia choices is acceptable. Some people prefer the increased safety (and cost) of having a MD (anesthesiologist) providing their anesthesia.

- FACILITY (OPERATING ROOM) CHARGES – A really cheap facility should be another red flag. It may signify the room your procedure is done in is not equipped properly and may not adhere to national standards of safety and sterility. For your safety make sure YOUR operating room facility is either MEDICARE or AAAASF certified. These organizations perform inspections and demand high standards of safety and performance. However, maintaining and complying with such Federal and State regulations is expensive

While having surgery in a Medicare or AAAASF certified operating room is much safer than having your surgery done in a non-certified facility, this safety comes with a higher price tag. This increased safety comes at a price. Is YOUR safety and well being worth taking a risk for? Saving on?

Having Plastic Surgery is VERY much like flying a plane. Your safety depends on having an experienced, well trained pilot (i.e. a real Plastic surgeon), an experienced navigator (anesthesia provider) and flying (or having your surgery) in a well-maintained, inspected and cared for airplane (certified operating room facility).
In summary, do you REALLY know your pilot? Do you trust your plane? Choose wisely!

Now you know everything you should know when evaluating Plastic Surgery fees and charges.

Good Luck in your journey for self-improvement.

Dr. Peter Aldea

In Manhattan, your total expense will be at least $10,000.

+9

Hi!

This includes operating room costs, anesthesia, and recovery.  Beware of a lower fee.  They are cutting corners.

For people who cannot afford this, I recommend a teaching hospital clinic (I teach at Lenox Hill Hospital), where the surgery is done by residents in training with supervision.

Tummy tuck prices vary by region and surgeon

+8

Prices for tummy tucks can vary based on the part of the country you live in as well as the individual surgeon. These can vary from $6000 or less to over $10000.

A couple of things to consider:

• The fee you may be quoted may only be the surgeon's fee. Remember, there will also be a fee for the facility (hospital operating room or an ambulatory surgery center) as well as the anesthesia.
  • Be careful with those who advertise bargain basement prices. Remember, in the end it's your body and health, and you want to have the best possible result at a price that is fair for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your particular part of the country.

How Much Does a Tummy Tuck Cost?

+6

How much does a tummy tuck cost.

The cost depends on what the patient needs and how much time is required.  When I do a tummy tuck I do what I think helps to get the best and longest-lasting results for my patients. In my practice a tummy tuck that takes between 4.5 and 7.5 hours of operating rom time, depending on what is done is in the broad range of  11-15,000. But I am sure you can also find a tummy tuck for 7-9,000 in some areas, and more in others. If  breast surgery is part of the procedure, it will cost more. Each patient is individualized according to their needs. These costs are inclusive of my fee, anesthesia, facility charges, Cosmetassure insurance, and follow-up care.

This is what is involved in a tummy tuck.

If the patient has extra thickness of fat of the abdomen and waist or flanks, the tummy tuck starts with infiltration of all these tissue layers with tumescent salt solution followed by treatment with vaser ultrasonic liposuction.

If I am confident that all the lower abdominal skin can be removed, including the hole where the belly button was freed, I make my incision initially above the belly button and join it to the lower incision.  Then I elevate the upper flap and leave the lower skin to be removed afterward to preserve body heat.

I do not consider a patient with excess fat of the abdomen or waist to have had a proper tummy tuck without treating all these areas. At the end of the procedure I want the patient to have a sculpted, natural look. I try to bring out the underlying shape of the waist and hips.

All tummy tucks are individualized, but all include careful elevation of the upper abdominal flap in a way that preserves the maximum blood supply to the skin that must join the lower incision. This is usually referred to as a tunnel from belly button to lower tip of breast bone. Undermining is limited to just the width needed to bring the rectus muscle together. Some doctors undermine all the way up to the rib margin and lose this blood supply. This takes less time but makes it easier to bring the flap down for closure without having to use other techniques such as discontinuous undermining and more flexing of the table to relieve tension.

If there is any excess fat after remaining after elevating the upper flap, it is carefully trimmed at the appropriate level from below. The margins of the flap, particularly laterally, are carefully tapered and trimmed to fit nicely with the thinner skin of the anterior thigh and hip below the incision. If not already removed, the lower abdominal skin is then removed.

The next step is a multiple-layer closure of the rectus muscle in the midline. This is done along the entire length of the rectus, not just above and below the belly button. Otherwise there will be little improvement of the waist. I prefer multiple figure-of-eight sutures of permanent suture, followed by a double row of slowly dissolving Quill sutures. I take care to go all the way up, and all the way down to the pubic bone to avoid unsightly bulges in the upper and/or lower abdomen.

I next trim the flap to precisely fit the lower incision without dog ears. I often use the Lockwood flap marker to ensure that no extra skin is left behind.

I then determine the umbilical location with the flap temporarily closed with atraumatic clamps to set the tension properly before measuring where to place the belly button. I always place the umbilicus at a distance from the pubic incision that is normal, at least 10-13 cm depending on patient height and pre-existing height of their belly button. Nothing is more unattractive than a high incision and a low belly button relative to the incision.

Sutures are placed between the opening for the belly button and the abdominal wall adjacent to the belly button after removing fat around the opening. Doing this creates a youthful valley in which to place the belly button.  The sutures are tightened and tied after the next step of re-attaching the flap to the abdominal wall. The belly button is tailored, according to patient preference, to be vertical, small and not show too much old belly button skin. That skin often has a different color, or is wrinkled.

The pain pump catheters are placed, if the patient has chosen to have a pain pump. A single drain may be placed.

The elevated abdominal skin is re-connected to the abdominal wall with special Quill quilting sutures.  This is a recent technological innovation that allows the skin to be progressively snugged up, top to bottom, without needing individual sutures or knots. The entire open space of flap elevation is closed off. This allows rapid removal of the drain, if used, and decreases any risk of fluid collection or seroma.

The incision closure takes about two hours and is done to last a lifetime and minimize the chance of any unfavorable scarring. My goal is to have such a secure closure that the scar will heal as a fine pencil line after the redness fades. There are three or four separate suture layers. The deepest layer is permanent and the others are absorbable. Scar maturation takes a long time, and the longest-dissolving absorbable sutures have long lost their tensile strength before the scar has reached its maximum strength and matured.

First, the central two-thirds are closed with a deep layer of permanent suture placed close enough together as individual sutures that a finger cannot be placed between them. This creates the high-lateral tension that distributes the tension more to the groin area than the midline. This decreases the possibility that there will be any excess tension in the pubic area that can lead to wound healing problems or unnatural elevation of the mons. The closure is very secure and allows a sleek distribution of tension across the front of the thigh to the abdomen. This gives a lift to the anterior thigh as well, eliminating pre-operative sagginess.

The next layer is a slowly-dissolving Quill suture that brings together the subcutaneous tissue and covers the permanent sutures. In a very thin patient, this layer may also serve as the subdermal layer closure. This is followed by another Quill suture that brings together the dermal-epidermal layer so they are just kissing. Since there is now no tension now on the layer of the skin that forms the visible scar, the most favorable conditions have been created for a hairline, flat scar. The final layer is a rapidly dissolving layer of absorbable suture that brings the skin together as finely as in a facelift.

The belly button closure is finalized by a deep layer of dermal sutures for strength and multiple individual half-buried mattress sutures of nylon that very precisely line up the umbilical skin with the abdominal skin with no sutures passing through the abdominal skin side and all knots on the belly button side. These sutures can be left in for two weeks for excellent healing without leaving any visible suture marks.

I usually cover the incision with a layer of Dermabond. This is a biocompatible tissue adhesive for incision coverage. It gradually comes off over 2-3 weeks. There are no other dressings required. The abdomen and flanks are covered with Topifoam sponge which greatly reduces bruising in any place where there has been liposuction, and a non-constricting binder is placed. A Velcro belt with a drain pouch is provided if a drain has been used. The pain pump has its own carrier.

As you can see, the tummy tuck described above is a highly technical and refined operation. It deserves the time required in my hands to achieve the goal that patients want: a youthful, slim figure.

Web reference: http://www.enhanced-you.com/before-after-galleries/abdominoplasty-and-liposuction-patient-10/

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Fees

+5

The fees for a tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty will vary based on a number of factors including your geographical. In Columbus, Ohio the total average out of pocket expense for an abdominoplasty at the Sullivan Centre is about $6800. Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Cost of Tummy Tuck

+5

The cost of tummy tucks has a huge range depending on the region and your surgeon. 

You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine your exact needs for your particular body and the potential results you can expect. You can learn more about the different types of procedures and recovery at the below web reference for a tummy tuck.

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

The cost a tummy tuck depends on sevaral factors.

+4

There are many types of tummy tucks each taking different amounts of time.  A full tummy tuck is much more involved compared to a mini-tummy tuck.  Some patients also need alot of liposuction in conjunction with the abdominoplasty.  A full consultation is necessary to determine the exact cost.  The cost ranges from $7500-9000.

Best of Luck,

Dr. Kasrai

Web reference: http://www.myplasticsurgeon.ca/abdominoplasty.asp

Tummy tuck cost

+4

The cost of a tummy tuck can range from $4000 to $9000 and varies with local market and practice. I practice in the Miami market and our current price is about $5500. This includes anesthesia, surgery, operating room costs, and post-surgery care. 

Web reference: http://www.epsmiami.com