Are RNs Good Botox Injectors?

RN's and Botox

+5

Because Botox is a prescription drug, it requires the authorization of a physician so RN's who do injections are under the supervision of the prescribing doctor. They do not work independently. However, provided that there are clear lines of supervision and thorough training, a great many practices use RN's to do the injections with good results. In fact, an RN who works primarily in this capacity may be more experienced than many physicians who only do it as a part of their practice.

RNs can be great injectors provided they are well trained and experienced.

+2

Registered Nurses can ge great injectors if they  are well trained by experienced doctors and if they have a lot of experience.  Nurses attending routine workshops and training with doctors throughout the year and work very closely with their supervising doctors can be great injectors.  Always ask about their training and experience. 

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

MDs, DOs, RNs and PAs can all make good injectors

+2

Some RNs (registered nurses) or PAs (physician assistants) are good injectors and some are not. Of course, the same can be said about doctors - some are good and some are not.

What makes a good injector? Someone with a good understanding of the anatomy, a good sense of aesthetics, who puts safety first, and of course, the more experience, the better.

Jonathan Hoenig, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

RNs as injectors

+1

The most important aspect is to ensure that the injector is experienced and skilled.  The next is that the injector meets the state's requirements.  In Florida, RNs can not legally inject botox. Unfortunately, many medspas in Florida are not complying with the law or proper standards. Therefore, I would suggest that you go to a board certified physician for your botox injections.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Botox injectors

+1

Although nurses and PAs can perform Botox innjections under the supervision of a doctor, I prefer (and I think my patients do to) that I perform the injections.

RN's as Botox Injectors

+1

We feel very strongly that training and experience determine competence and agree with Dr. Hoenig. We do have nurse injectors at our offices because they take great care with our patients and have been thoroughly trained to perform the injection procedures. Most physicians that use nurse or PA injectors understand that they are compromising their own reputation if procedures go poorly and so only allow competent individuals to perform the procedures.

The practitioner holding the needle must be motivated to know and understand their trade very well and we have found in some instances that very high profile physicians invest so much of their time and training in surgery that they neglect their injection skills. Regardless of title, it's the training, experience and passion that the practitioner has for the work that determine competence.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Doctors should be doing the injections

+1

An RN doing Botox? Not in my office! I believe patients deserve the care of a board certified aesthetic (dermatology, plastic surgeon) physician.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Botox is a powerful medication- MD only

+1

In my opinion Botox should only be administered by an experienced MD. Dermatologists are the specialists for the skin.   

Robert Kasten, MD
Mainz Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox should be injected by MDs.

+1

Botox is a very effective and powerful medication. Although it may appear easy to administer, Botox does have complications that require the attention of doctors. To avoid these publications in the first place, it is important to receive your Botox from experienced a board-certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who has a great deal of experience with this medicine. RNs simply do not have the training or the knowledge of anatomy of the musculature or nerves of the face necessary to avoid complications and treat them when they arise

Pat Pazmino, MD