How Much Does Laser Eye Surgery Cost?

Cost of LASIK

+1

The cost of laser surgery generally varies from $2000 to $4000 per eye depending on location, surgeon experience, type of equipment used, etc.  Surgeons sometime offer special discounts for certain times of the year and are worth looking out for.

San Diego Ophthalmologist

Laser Eye Surgery costs vary depending on many factors

+1

Depends on many factors such as LASIK or PRK, bladeless LASIK or conventional LASIK with a microkeratome, custom or non-custom (older technology).  In general, $1500 - $3000 per eye is a ballpark figure.

Christopher Coad, MD
New York Ophthalmologist

Cost of Laser Eye Surgery

+1

The cost of laser eye surgery ranges from roughly $1000 to $3000 per eye. There are many factors that go in to this, and it is a difficult question to answer in a forum such as this. The technology that is being utilized, the severity of the patients prescription and the type of practice the surgeon works in are just three of many considerations among a long list.

Suffice it to say....."you get what you pay for." Fortunately, the days of "two for one" dealsare behind us, however, some corporate laser centers will play with the pricing in an attempt to lure potential customers. You will find the majority of private surgeons will not do this.

Do your homework, check out your surgeon, talk to your surgeon and be sure to have all of your questions answered. You only have one set of eyes

Anthony J. Kameen, MD
Baltimore Ophthalmologist

Cost of laser vision correction surgery

+1

At our practice, we typically perform CustomVue LASIK with Intralase, the best of technologies available. You should expect to pay anywhere from $3500 to $5000 to have both eyes treated in the DC/VA/MD market. You can also check out a map of other cities average prices here on RealSelf.

Some practices have tiered pricing, meaning the lower your need for correction the less you pay OR the lesser a technology you choose the less you pay. I appreciate tiered pricing based upon your visual need, but opting for a lesser technology to save money when it comes to eye surgery is a poor decision. Good luck!

Paul C. Kang, MD
Washington DC Ophthalmologist

LASIK Costs: Shop for results, not price!

+1

There is no doubt in my mind that many patients think of LASIK as a commodity, shopping for the cheapest price possible. In my area, Northern New Jersey, I have seen prices range from a low of $1000 per eye to a high of $3500 per eye. Many factors go into these prices including:

* Surgeon experience
* State of the art equipment and facility
* Staff Training
* Follow-up with surgeon vs. local optometrist vs. technician
* Success rate of surgeon and center
* Laser located on site vs. shared laser at a center
* Breadth of procedures offered. Does center only do one procedure, or does it offer a wide gamut of procedures based upon the need of the patient?

Insurance generally does not cover LASIK. There are several ways to keep costs down including:

* If offered at work, flex spending dollars allow you to use pre tax dollars to pay for the procedure.
* Many practices offer 0% financing.

When deciding where to get your LASIK, it is important to actually meet and "interview" your surgeon. Not only must you need to determine if you are a good candidate for LASIK, you must also determine if the surgeon is the right surgeon for you. There are many questions that can help to determine this.

In conclusion, when deciding on LASIK the most important determination is the quality of the surgeon, not cost. We are, after all, talking about our eyes! I can honestly say that it is very common to hear my patients state that "the money spent on LASIK was the best money ever spent."

Cary M. Silverman, MD
West Orange Ophthalmologist

Cost is important in LASIK, but there are other things to consider

+1

Cost is always a difficult thing for doctors in particular to discuss, but it is a reality and a very important consideration for any purchase.

LASIK is not like buying a refrigerator, and usually people do not pick their brain surgeon based on the low bidder, so LASIK is not a commodity, but there is a cost aspect to consider.

Be very careful of both centers that offer "as low as" pricing as well as a menu with upgrades available that make you choose between safety and effectiveness vs cost.

The reality is that there is not as much variation in LASIK cost as one might think looking at all of the advertising. There are fixed costs which all laser centers incur, and these to some extent drive the price. It is best to have an experienced surgeon (look for a member of an organization such as "Trusted LASIK Surgeons") and it is best to have a center that uses the all blade free approach, such as Intralasik since it has a much better safety profile. With these two considerations, you are looking at about $1500 to $2500 per eye and you will need to make the choice between price and what you perceive that the value is at a particular provider.

I do not recommend lifetime guarantees as they cost a lot extra, are not always helpful if you cannot have more surgery, and are not for your lifetime but for your centers. Most doctors offer a no charge 1 year enhancement policy, which for 95% of people is all you will ever need.

Jon Dishler, MD
Denver Ophthalmologist

You get what you pay for with laser eye surgery

+1

Laser eye surgery costs can vary greatly from one surgeon to another. Some of this is based upon the technology used. Older, less sophisticated lasers might be less expensive. Some surgeons offer a more personalized approach while others run a high volume clinic. The important thing to remember is that laser eye surgery affects one of the most important things in your life, your vision. You’d never look for discount brain or heart surgery. Don’t skimp on your vision.

Generally you get what you pay for with LASIK surgery, and you can expect to spend anywhere from $4500 to $6000 for a reputable surgeon using the latest technology.

Steven Dell, MD
Austin Ophthalmologist