How Much Does Excessive Sweating Treatment Cost?

If this isn't covered by insurance, does the pricing per unit still apply as with Botox Cosmetic?

+1

Botox is a great option and highly effective helping excessive sweating, most patients require 50 units per axilla

Cost of Botox varies from each practice/physician and also the region you live in, typically the cost of Botox is $10-$16 per unit. Seek a reputable certified physician to promote a better outcome

Excessive Sweating Cost

+1

The range in cost depends on the number of units administered which can be between 50-100 units of botox and can range from $500 to $1000 per session.  For hyperhidrosis injections, I like the injections to be more dilute.  This creates a larger surface area and less overall number of units required to get a good result with Botox.  Botox needs to be more concentrated for the face.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatments for hyperhidrosis in Los Angeles

+1

Botox for hyperhidrosis is the same as the Botox for cosmetic use.  I would recommend the Miradry system for patients with axillary and armpit sweating. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Cost for armpit (axillary) sweating (hyperhidrosis)

+1

I usually consider three medical/surgical treatment options once a patient has exhausted efforts to reduce axillary (armpit) hyperhidrosis (sweating).  The most common is the use of Botox or an equivalent neurotoxin (Dysport, Xeomin).  All are effective, but the duration of action will depend on how much you put in.  It can last anywhere from 2-6 months and can cost anywhere from $800 - 1500 / treatment depending the price and amount used. 

miraDry is a new device that permanently reduces sweating.  It requires 2-3 treatments and can be as effective as Botox, but once you've completed your treatment series, you are done.  This usually costs $3000-4000 depending on whether you need more than 2 treatment sessions. 

Axillary shaving is a techique that I use to surgically remove the sweat glands from the armpits.  Insurance may cover this but it is hit or miss.  Your out of pocket costs are ~5000, and includes the facility fee and anesthesia fee.  This is also a permanent reduction in sweat.  All three options are effective, but in the long run, the Botox option becomes the most expensive as you have to repeat this 2-3 times a year. 

My recommendation is start with miraDry and use surgery as your last resort.  Hope this helps and good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Hyperhidrosis treatment costs

+1

There are many treatments and depending on what area is being treated and what technology or agents, it is variable - micro ETS is 10,000 to 21,000 depending on where it is being done (hospital, outpatient center). Botox is 1000 - 1500 for underarms, same for palms. miraDry ranges from 3000 to 4000 dollars. Iontophoresis is 150 dollars per session and not very effective. Prescription medications and topicals may be as much as 100 dollars per month.

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

+1

For permanent reduction of underarm sweating, we use the Smartlipo Triplex or SmartLipo Sidelaze laser to ablate the sweat glands. This is an in-office procedure under local anesthetic. Since the sweat glands are destroyed, excess sweating is greatly diminished or eliminated.

Current cost is about 3,000.  This compares very favorably with Botox which must be repeated.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

What is the cost of excessive sweating?

+1

Sometimes its a matter of perspective. If you add up what is spent in new clothes, dry cleaning costs, missed opportunities, etc. the numbers below won't be so scary. We always encourage our patients to look at the big picture and to think long term. Having said that, these are our rough pricing guidelines:

Axillary treatment: Botox (~6 months): $600-995; Ultrasonic therapy (permanent): $3800

Hands OR Feet: Botox (~6 months): $400-895

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

KC

Kirk A. Churukian, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Cost of hyperhidrosis.

+1

This really depends on how many units are used. Botox is a costly medication and the amount delivered is the major factor in calculating the cost.

Costs may be as high as $20 per unit but generally as the number of units used increases, the price decreases generally no lower than $9 per unit. If it is any lower, I would be suspicious about dilution.

In the $660 range

+1

Sorry, but this is a guess. All the patients for whom I administered this treatment so far, have had insurance coverage. Insurance companies require that we give something else a try before they will approve coverage. Usually, I try Drysol and what we call an anti-cholinergic drug. Sometimes, Drysol works but can be irritating. The anti-cholinergics dry everything including your mouth, and cause constipation, urinary retention, vision problems in sunlight etc. Thus many people cannot tolerate this medication. For that reason, many of these patients are approved.

As far as the cost: we use a vial of BOTOX for axillary (underarm) sweating.This costs $525. Insurance allows an office visit fee ($75) and an administration fee ( $60).

Considering this is a fairly time consuming practice, the re-imbursement is not particularly generous. I recall attending an advanced BOTOX course a few years ago. I was the only dermatologist or plastic surgeon among the group (of six). When the instructor reached the section on Botox for hyperhidrosis, she said we'll skip this section....there's no money in it...just send the client (not patient) to the dermatologist!

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist