How Many Botox Units Are Needed for Laugh Lines?

and how long will you see results I'm 52 years old and this will be my first time doing botox

Laugh line region around eyes requires 8-15 Botox units

+2

I usually administer between 8-15 units per side for a first time patient with mild to slightly moderate lines and furrows in the region around the eyes. The amount of Botox used in laugh line region is titrated depending upon the patient’s degree of wrinkling, etc. I hope this helps to explain your concerns.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Laugh lines and Botox

+1

I assume you mean the crow's feet area.  Usually I inject between 7.5-10 units per side to get the desired effect.

Cost of Botox for laugh lines

+1

Hi Almis,

If you are speaking about the "crow's feet" laugh lines at the outside of the eyes, we normally inject between 12-25 units total.

If you are speaking about the laugh lines that are present between the sides of the nose and the sides of the mouth, these are addressed with dermal fillers and we inject between 1cc and 3cc of Restylane or Juvederm.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Laugh lines don't always disappear with Botox

+1

IF you mean the crow's feet, there are two answers to your question. Crow's feet can be caused by two muscle actions:

1) Squinting with smiling

2) Lifting up of the cheek skin with the smile muscles acting on the corner of the mouth

In order to work on #1 above, it takes 6-12 units per side (12-24 units total) to soften the squinting muscles. YOU DO NOT WANT to weaken the smile muscles unless you have a very "gummy smile".

Botox Units

+1

Dosage can vary and needs to be customized for each patient but in our San Francisco office we typically use 8 - 16 units per side.

The most important thing about an effective treatment is a skilled injector.

In our office I do all of our injections. Expect the same from your board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Laugh Lines and Botox

+1

Almis,

I would recommend starting with 10 Botox units per side and checking your results after 2 weeks. It is ok to add more Botox after two weeks if needed.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

It depends on the patient

+1

If you mean laugh lines around your eyes, we use anywhere from 15 - 40 units, it really depends on the patient. Usually, 20 -25 units fro the first time patient. It takes several days for the Botox to take effect, and the effect lasts about 3 - 4 months.

Stella Desyatnikova, MD

Botox for laugh lines

+1

Laugh lines typically require 5-15 units per side, depending on muscle bulk and the strength of the underlying muscle activity. If you have never had injections before, you can start with a low dose and always add more units later as needed.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

25 units

+1

This is usually enough for both sides. You see the peak effect in two weeks and the results last 4 months.

More important than the number of units, though, is good injection technique. Go to an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox units needed for laugh lines vary

+1

To treat the lines around the eyes, which are also called the crow's feet, I usually inject anywhere from 6-15 units on each side. The amount a person needs varies based on the number of wrinkles, how deep they are, and certain characteristics of the skin itself.

Botox typically lasts 3 months. However, some people find that it lasts longer than that and others feel it wears off more quickly. Everyone is different.

The first time you get Botox it will probably wear off the fastest, because your muscles are at "peak strength". Your lines are also strong, and it takes some time for the lines to smooth out. If you have deep lines, 3 months is really a short amount of time for the lines to become smoother. You may need more than one treatment (given every 3 months or so) to really see how the lines smooth out.

Jordana S. Gilman, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon