How Many Botox Units Are Needed for Upper Lip Plumping?

I've heard that you can use Botox around the upper lip to make the fuller. How many units does that take?

Botox does not help plump lips

+4

Hello Missnataleigh,

Botox will not help for lip augmentation. We use Restylane or Juvederm in the lips. 

We do use Botox in the upper lip to relax the muscles responsible for contributing to smoker's lines.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/botox.aspx

Be cautious with Botox around the lips.

+3

A few units of Botox in the right situation can help raise a slight pout in the upper lip, or slightly soften small vertical smokers' lines, but do not use too much Botox around the mouth. It will weaken the muscle that does everything your mouth needs to do: drinking fluids (especially through a straw), and speaking (forming p's and b's can be difficult).

To be clear, Botox will not "plump" the lip. Only the fillers can do that.

Botox has no role in lip augmentation.

+3

Hi.

This is a common misconception.  Botox can raise the corners of the mouth, and help to erase upper lip lines.  But it has no role in lip augmentation.

Juvederm is a good filler for lip augmentation.

Botox is not generally used to plump the lips.

+3

Botox can be used to soften the lines that occur while pursing the lips (which incidentally is not caused by smoking). Fillers such as restylane and juvederm, however, are excellent for plumping the lips. Generally, 1 syringe of material or less is all that is needed to achieve the desired result.

Good luck.

San Diego Dermatologist

Botox will not make the lips fuller

+3

Botox injection will not make the lip fuller, but it can create a slightly fuller pout and enhance results from Juvederm or Restylane filler injection. It is usually a really small dose, 2 - 4 units per lip.

Botox will not plump your lips

+3

Botox relaxes muscles and is not a filler. It can be used around the lips to soften wrinkles or even curl the corners of the lips up, but if you are interested in fuller lips, I would recommend Juvederm-- I find it works very nicely and evenly in this area.

Botox does not exactly plump lips

+3

Botox does not exactly cause lip plumping but my patients do report that they feel that their lips are fuller.

I can only surmise that individuals who typically request Botox for the lips commonly have conditions which cause them to purse their lips which then creates wrinkles or "lipstick bleed lines". They frequently develop a resting tone of pursed lips which can make them small and contracted. Injecting Botox into these individuals causes the muscle to relax and secondarily creates the illusion of a fuller lip. In these instances, I will administer 4-8 units into the upper lip. However, be aware that this will relax the lip and some patients are bothered by this weakness and find it undesireable.

Injecting Botox into a person with a normally relaxed lip may have little if any effect on the shape.

Botox cost for upper lip

+2

For Botox of the upper lip it will take 2 to 4 units. Your very first time visit at our faclity the Botox is $10.00 per unit. Reg. $13.00 per unit. So for 4 units on your first visit it would be $40.00. 

Botox for plumper lips?

+2

Botox is a medication that temporarily paralyzes muscles and reduces wrinkles.  It is not a filler such as Juvederm and has no role in plumping up your lips. 

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

Be careful with lip Botox

+2

I agree with most of the others here. Please be cautious of getting Botox into your lips. While some have reported fair results in getting rid of vertical lip lines, there is a significant risk of lip weakness (which is much more unattractive than the lines).

Botox is a great medication when used correctly - but there are likely better choices for lip augmentation.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon