How Long to Use Ice Pack After Restylane?

i had restylane injection in the early afternoon. should i use ice pack?

When to cool the skin.

+2

Cool compresses (not ice cubes) can be effective after injectables to decrease swelling.

However, in our San Francisco office, we use a cool compress prior to injection to constrict the blood vessels and improve comfort. We have found this to be a very effective technique to reduce possible complications and improve patient comfort.

Use Ice Pack After Restylane

+1

You can apply ice packs to the area injected to help with bruising and swelling. It is not required, but it does help the recovery go faster.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

How Long to Use Ice Pack After Restylane

+1

I recommend using the icepack off and on for a few hours after the injection of Restylane.  This will usually keep the swelling and bruising to a minimum.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Using an ice pack after Restylane

+1

Restylane is a very popular and effective hyaluronic acid-base dermal filler. It has been used widely throughout the face for the correction of deep lines and wrinkles. In our practice, we provide patients with an ice pack to use undertreated areas for their comfort and to help resolve any swelling. We recommend that the patients please ice onto these areas have been treated for 1 to 2 days.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Cold Compresses with Restylane injections

+1

Using cold compresses prior, during, and after dermal filler injection treatments is always a benefit for, not only comfort, but also to reduce swelling and bruising. Most of our patients find benefit in using gentle, intermittent cold compresses for the first 24 hours after their treatment especicially for the mouth area. Using frozen pea bags are a good option because they can be reused and they conform better to the face. Always report prolonged swelling or bruising to your practitioner.

Refer to the below link for further information on pre and post-treatment instructions.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

An ice pack or cold pack helps reduce swelling and bruising after restylane or juvederm injection.

+1

Applying a cold pack or ice pack to the area that has been treated with a facial filler such as restylane, juvederm, or radiesse will help reduce swelling and bruising.

I also use a cold pack or cold roller to cool the area before injection.

The cold temperature causes the blood vessels to constrict and close down, which lessens the chance of bruising.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Use ice for the first minute after Restylane injections

+1

Typically, I recommend ice in my office for the first minute. Bruising does happen more with Restylane and Juvederm than collagen injections. I have not done nor read a study that explores two sets of patients having these injections, one set icing and one not icing after the injections to see if the one that does ice has less bruising. There may be some beneficial effect from taking Arnica Montana, an herb, that may suppress bruising and swelling, especially if it is started before the procedure.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Ice pack can be used on first couple of hours

+1

After Restylane injections some patient may experience some pain, bruising, redness or swelling that may dissipate within few days. An ice pack can be applied to alleviate some of the discomfort, I prefer my patients to apply an ice pack on the area of the injection site immediately before and after Restylane injections for up to 2 hours.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Ice pack use after Restylane is debatable

+1

Icing can help things feel better and in the short term may reduce bruising. I would use bags of frozen veggies as actual ice on the lip can cause a cold injury (too cold). I see little benefit after an hour or two as these patients usually have little pain.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Initial application of ice after Restylane is sufficient

+1

The ice helps with the bruising and swelling when applied during Restylane injection.  It also helps with the pain of the injection as well.

I usually recommend icing while in the office and that should be sufficient.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD