How Long to Use Ice Pack After Restylane?

i had restylane injection in the early afternoon. should i use ice pack?

How Long to Use Ice Pack After Restylane

I recommend using the icepack off and on for a few hours after the injection of Restylane.  This will usually keep the swelling and bruising to a minimum.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

455 East Airport drive
Baton Rouge, LA 70806

When to cool the skin.

Cool compresses (not ice cubes) can be effective after injectables to decrease swelling.

However, in our San Francisco office, we use a cool compress prior to injection to constrict the blood vessels and improve comfort. We have found this to be a very effective technique to reduce possible complications and improve patient comfort.

Steven H. Williams, MD

4000 Dublin Blvd
Dublin, CA 94568

24 Hours

The use of ice before and after Restylane injections can be helpful for a variety of reasons.Icing an area decreases the swelling and bruising that’s associated with these procedures.In addition it makes the overall experience more tolerable by decreasing the pain that occurs during the injection process.
Most of the benefits from ice application occurs prior to injection and in the first 24 hours following injection.During this period of time, ice helps diminish swelling and bruising.After 24 hours the effect on swelling and bruising is minimal, but patients continue to have symptomatic relief from its use.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

8900 West Dodge Road
Omaha, NE 68114

Using an ice pack after Restylane

Restylane is a very popular and effective hyaluronic acid-base dermal filler. It has been used widely throughout the face for the correction of deep lines and wrinkles. In our practice, we provide patients with an ice pack to use undertreated areas for their comfort and to help resolve any swelling. We recommend that the patients please ice onto these areas have been treated for 1 to 2 days.

Pat Pazmino, MD

848 Brickell Avenue
Miami, FL 33131

Cold Compresses with Restylane injections

Using cold compresses prior, during, and after dermal filler injection treatments is always a benefit for, not only comfort, but also to reduce swelling and bruising. Most of our patients find benefit in using gentle, intermittent cold compresses for the first 24 hours after their treatment especicially for the mouth area. Using frozen pea bags are a good option because they can be reused and they conform better to the face. Always report prolonged swelling or bruising to your practitioner.

Refer to the below link for further information on pre and post-treatment instructions.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

23211 Hawthorne Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90505

An ice pack or cold pack helps reduce swelling and bruising after restylane or juvederm injection.

Applying a cold pack or ice pack to the area that has been treated with a facial filler such as restylane, juvederm, or radiesse will help reduce swelling and bruising.

I also use a cold pack or cold roller to cool the area before injection.

The cold temperature causes the blood vessels to constrict and close down, which lessens the chance of bruising.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Use Ice Pack After Restylane

You can apply ice packs to the area injected to help with bruising and swelling. It is not required, but it does help the recovery go faster.

Tim A. Sayed, MD, FACS
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

7050 W. Palmetto Park Road
Boca Raton, FL 33433

Use ice for the first minute after Restylane injections

Typically, I recommend ice in my office for the first minute. Bruising does happen more with Restylane and Juvederm than collagen injections. I have not done nor read a study that explores two sets of patients having these injections, one set icing and one not icing after the injections to see if the one that does ice has less bruising. There may be some beneficial effect from taking Arnica Montana, an herb, that may suppress bruising and swelling, especially if it is started before the procedure.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Ice pack can be used on first couple of hours

After Restylane injections some patient may experience some pain, bruising, redness or swelling that may dissipate within few days. An ice pack can be applied to alleviate some of the discomfort, I prefer my patients to apply an ice pack on the area of the injection site immediately before and after Restylane injections for up to 2 hours.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD, FACS

9843 Gross Point Rd
Skokie, IL 60076

Ice pack use after Restylane is debatable

Icing can help things feel better and in the short term may reduce bruising. I would use bags of frozen veggies as actual ice on the lip can cause a cold injury (too cold). I see little benefit after an hour or two as these patients usually have little pain.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866