How Long Should You Wear Your Binder/garment for After a Tummytuck?

Compression Garments are NOT absolutely needed after a Tummy Tuck

+30

Regarding:  "How Long Should You Wear Your Binder/garment for After a Tummytuck?"

Not so fast.

First we need to establish is it REALLY absolutely necessary that you wear a compression garment in the first place. I KNOW I am kicking a hornets' nest by saying that  - BUT - I and a growing number of my colleagues do not think so and have given up this treatment for several reasons.

Every treatment should be based on scientific evidence and benefit the patient much more than the doctor and be associated with less complications than potential benefits.

While a compression garment MAY (no proof) reduce swelling and MAY (no proof) reduce drainage it is associated with
- discomfort and tightness
- decreased ability to fill the lungs (IE take full breaths) associated with a high incidence of fevers and pneumonias after surgery
- varying degrees of compression on the tummy skin resulting in decrease of blood flow especially in the distant portions which may result in flap death and or wound disruption
- a definite slowing of blood flow in the leg and pelvis veins which translate into a higher likelihood of blood clot formation (DVT) with possible clots to the lungs (PE).

Furthermore, if the value, timing and duration of compression after tummy tuck were SO clear, WHY do you have so many good Plastic surgeons each coming with his / her own regimen of when to put it and for how long? Does that make sense?

For my part, I stopped using compression garments on my patients years ago. Although grateful to be spared the torture of compression on an already sore post-surgical tummy, they are puzzled and ask me WHY, unlike their friends and what they read on the Internet, they are spared the garment. For my part, I have NOT noticed longer drainage without compression but have seen much happier patients with less complications. So what's there NOT to like?

In answer to your question: "How Long Should You Wear Your Binder/garment for After a Tummy tuck?" - In my opinion - NOT A SINGLE DAY.

Dr. Peter Aldea

How long to wear garment after lipo

+14

Thanks for your question.

As with any treatment you have received you should direct questions like this to your doctor.

The concept of compression garments after any form of liposuction are two fold.

First the garment helps collapse the tunnels within the fat that have been formed by the liposuction. This improves the result and that compression needs to be in place until the scar tissue has formed to help hold those tunnels in a collapsed position. This usually takes 2 weeks to a month and in rare cases as long as six weeks.

The second concept of a compression garment is to reduce swelling and edema in the area. This usually only requires about one to two weeks.

In our San Francisco office, there is some variability on length of compression I use depending on the site of the liposuction I have performed. In general if a patient can tolerate the compression garment a little longer the results tend to be better.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Compression garment after tummy tuck yields superior results

+13

I recommend to my patients that they should wear the compression garment for 5-6 weeks. During the first week, it is worn 24/7, coming out only of it for showers, bath, change of clothes, etc. It is then worn the majority of the time 10-12 hours per day, especially during exercises and other physical activities. My office staff orders the garments to size. I feel that by controlling the swelling, healing, and scar formation we get smoother skin and superior body contouring results. I hope you find this helpful.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Binders after Abdominoplasty

+11

Dear nicole123,

This is an interesting question.  It's interesting because this question falls under the realm of what I consider Voodoo practices.  Every plastic surgeon has a set of practices that they follow based on little or no evidence.  This is certainly one of these practices. The thought behind abdominal binders is that they help reduce post-op swelling and seroma formation.  There is no good evidence to support this.  Nonetheless, most surgeons will swear by their voodoo.  It's best to speak to your plastic surgeon and follow their recommendation.

I have patients wear a binder for about 2 weeks, then transfer them to SPANX for an additional 4 weeks.  I believe it helps my patients, but I can't prove it.  I can tell you, however, that I haven't had a lot of seromas to deal with.

Sincerely,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Most patients will wear binder for 4-6 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+10

Most patients will wear some compression for 4-6 weeks following a tummy tuck. Initially, they will wear the abdominal binder provided for the first week or so. Once the drains are removed, we will have our patients switch to a girdle or 'barely there' type of garment.

Sanjay Grover, MD

Wearing a binder after tummy tuck

+9

Wearing a binder serves several functions.  It is a great comfort to most patients and decreases  the pain of moving around after the operation.  It also compresses the tissue against the abdominal wall to decrease the amount of fluid accumulation (seroma).

Most patients wear the garment for three or more weeks.  After that some patients will wear it for comfort.  Most do not need the garment after the drains are pulled if there is no seroma formation.

Talmage J. Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD

Compression Garments After a Tummy Tuck

+8

The rule of compression garments are two fold, for comfort control and swelling control. I tell my patients to wear them two weeks day and night and two weeks at night. However, since I am plastic surgeon in Dallas, TX where the weather is warm especially during the summer months, that is the maximum. However, I do have many patients that wear the compression garments longer for comfort reasons. I will have them convert often to a Spanx type of garment for comfort for 6-8 weeks. This helps with wound healing, decreased swelling, as well as improving the scar because there is uniform pressure provided through this area.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Wear garment for about 2 weeks after Tummy Tuck

+8

After abdominoplasty procedure, I usually recommend to wear a compression garment for about 2 weeks. Abdominal support garments and binders are used to help reduce swelling, ease discomfort, increase blood circulation and also support your tissues while they are healing. You should definitely follow your surgeon's advice.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Wear binder after tummy tuck for 4-6 weeks

+8

For the first few days after Tummy Tuck, I like to leave the garment loose to prevent too much pressure on the dissected abdominal flaps. Following this, I like to use it for 4-6 weeks.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS