How Long Should I Wait for a Second Liposuction Treatment?

I just had Liposuction done in November last year, and I think I'm ready to go back again. How long after my first treatment should I wait before I get another one?

Liposuction should need to be done only once.

+3

Hi.

Six months after your original liposuction, you can have a revision.  But the real question is why do you need to go back  ?  Get another opinion.

Liposuction depending on the anatomical area...

+2

If your surgical plan is staged, you should be fine to undergo another procedure soon on the previously untreated anatomical areas. Did you ask your surgeon what timeline he recommends for you? I usually discuss the "big picture" when creating a surgical plan with my patients. I'm sure your surgeon will be happy to meet with you again and discuss when your next surgery should take place.

Good luck, and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Stephen Goldstein

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction staging

+2

You are now a few months post your liposuction. If you are treating other areas, it probably doesn't matter, but if you are considering additional liposuction on areas already treated, then I would probably wait 6 months to a year until the tissues are soft.

Staging liposuction

+2

Jam,

The answer to your question depends on whether the areas for suctioning are the same as the previously treated areas, and whether it was planned from the beginning for you to have the procedure twice. If you and your plastic surgeon had planned for a 2 stage liposuction on the same area, then you can probably proceed with stage 2 at around 3 months. If it was not planned for you to have two stages, and you want to treat the same area, then you should ideally wait 6 months. If the areas remaining to be treated are different than the areas that you already treated, then you may proceed now. Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Not before 3 - 6 months. But why a second time?

+2

The short answer is not before 3-6 months but the main question is why will you go back?

Liposuction is a great body contouring tool but should not be used instead of weight loss and excercise.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Repeat liposuction or another area

+1

You have given too little information. If you want the same area treated again I would say wait at least 6 months, if a separate area  then  even a month or two would be OK if there were no complications.

Generally this is  a body contouring procedure and not a wight loss program.

You should consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to see what your options are.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Revision of liposuction

+1

Liposuction is a safe, popular, and effective way to contour the body. A small percentage of patients who received the surgery may request a revision or touchup. Keep in mind that a successful revision is to treat areas that may have a small amount of asymmetry or uneven surface. Liposuction should not be done for weight control. Also keep in mind that a second liposuction surgery will be limited by the scar tissue that now exists in this area from the first surgery. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in liposuction and can determine if additional procedure will help you meet your goals.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Wait 3 to 6 months

+1

If you want to have the same area liposuctioned I would recommend you wait at least 3-6 months. The area should feel soft and have the same or similar feel as an untreated adjacent area.

Arthur Foley, MD
Olympia Plastic Surgeon