How Long Should I Wait After Breastfeeding Before I Undergo a Breast Lift?

Wait 3 Months After Nursing

3 months is a good minmal time to wait to allow the breasts to recover from the effects of the hormones of pregnancy and nursing.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Wait 3-6 months after lactation has stopped.

It’s not unusual for women to address changes in their bodies following pregnancy.In many cases, this is part of the mommy makeover procedure which addresses areas of fat accumulation in the hips and thighs, redundant abdominal tissue, and changes that occur in the breasts.

When contemplating breast surgery of any type following pregnancy, several issues require consideration.It’s important that the breasts have reached a stable size and contour.It’s also important that lactation has stopped for at least three to six months prior to surgery.It’s also important that the patient has returned to her baseline weight.Once these requirements have been met, it’s reasonable to proceed with breast lift surgery.

If you’re considering breast lift following pregnancy, consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in this area would be appropriate.This surgeon should be able to address your anatomic concerns and formulate a treatment plan that achieves your aesthetic goals as well.

How Long Should I Wait After Breastfeeding Before I Undergo a Breast Lift

Thank you for submitting your question. I tell my patients to wait a miniumim of 6 months after they complete breast feeding before they undergo breast surgery. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best Wishes

You Will Need To Wait At Least 3 Months Following Breast-Feeding Before Breast Surgery

You should wait at least three months from the cessation of lactation to undergo any type of elective invasive breast surgery.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

How long to wait after breast feeding for a lift.

This is a common question. Most plastic surgeons will not perform a breast lift on a women who is breast feeding. Most will wait 3 to 6 months after breast feeding is done. The breast often changes after breast feeding. You want to be stable in the soft tissue of the breast so you know what you are working with. The operation then has the best chance of looking good and lasting as long as it can. Always a good idea to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Best to wait at least 3 to 6 months after you have stopped breast-feeding before undergoing any type of breast surgery. Also, achieving your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding will be best.  Proceeding in this fashion will help minimize risk of complications and the potential need for additional surgery down the line.

Breast lift after breastfeeding

Once you're done breastfeeding, it takes your breasts a few months to settle into their new shape and position.  I would wait at least 3 months to have a breast lift done.

Carmen Kavali, MD

Waiting period after breastfeeding before breast lift

It is usually best to complete breastfeeding fully and wait at least an additional 3 to 6 months before undergoing any breast lift procedure. This will ensure that your results will not be affected by changes in breast shape and volume after lactation is complete.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Wait until lactation is complete before having any aesthetic breast surgery.

Finish breast feeding and allow the milk to dry up before proceeding with breast lift surgery.  The breasts will be of stable size and the position and size of the areola will be established.  The volume that remains will be stable and the decision to use an implant concurrently can be made intelligently.