How Long Should I Usually Use Epi-Derm Scar Sheets?

I am using Biodermis Epi-Derm sheets recommended by my doctor for my Tummy Tuck scar. He says I will need to wear them for 6-9 months. This seems to be a long time. Is this length of time average?

Use of Silicone to diminish scarring or scars

+2

Yes this is the standard prescribed time.

You should have instructions provided with the sheets.

The only exception is if you develop excessive moisture beneath the sheets which may predispose you to a fungal infection.

Although the benfits of silicone gel sheeting has been documented, it is clear that it is not a convenient option.

More convenient, but less proven options, such as Scarguard, scarzone, scarfade, etc. abound and are available in liquid form and typically require two applications a day.

Hope this helps!

Silicone sheets have no effect on the outcome of a scar.

+1

Silicone sheets are a waste of money.  The only time I recommend use is if clothing is irritating the scar which is not good for it.  With a silicone sheet in place, the clothing rubs on the silicone, not on the scar.

No defined time limit

+1

Silicone sheeting may help some scars heal less noticeably. There is no defined period of treatment however. I would say use them for as many months as you can do so....3-6-9 months sounds OK.

Best Regards.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

No 6 weeks is maximum

+1

The subacute healing time is up to 6 weeks after surgery. This is the time period in which the body is bringing in all of the cells and tissue necessary to heal the incision. At 6 weeks the wound will not gain any strenght. Over the course of the next year it will remodel and get better with time. However, the use of silicone, the only substance proven in studies to help the appearance of wounds, is only really useful up to 6 weeks following surgery.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon