How Long Should the Nose Be Swollen Following a Rhinoplasty?

I had a rhinoplasty procedure done in December of last year when I was 18. I've always had a pretty large bump on my nose that bothered me a lot and got me teased when I was younger so when I received settlement money when I turned 18 I decided to go through with the procedure. I went in on a Monday and he made the surgery for a week later, it all seemed very rushed. Well, it's now mid-October and you can barely tell I had anything done. There is still a large bump and it is sore. I have read that swelling should be completely gone by 9 months. I went back to my plastic surgeon and he keeps assuring me that everything is fine and a little pain is normal. I last went in August and he requested I come back in December! How long should the swelling and pain last?

Swellling and Pain After Rhinoplasty

+2

Most swelling is gone in a few days, but changes in the shape can still be seen for 12 - 18 months after Rhinoplasty.

Most tenderness or pain is typically gone in a couple of months.

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Nose may be swollen for up to one year after rhinoplasty

+1

Most of the obvious swelling after a rhinoplasty resolves after a few weeks, however the minor swelling may linger for up to one year. This is especially true concerning the tip of the nose.  This does not imply that you will look swollen for a year, but your photo at one month will look slightly different compared to your photo at one year. Please review your preoperative photos carefully with your surgeon so you can have an idea of what your expectations of the surgery will be.  We use 3D imaging for this purpose to simulate what the final result may look like, so the patient has a clear understanding of the surgical outcome.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD