How Long Should Blepharoplasty Results Last?

Is this normally a procedure that yields 3-4 years of improvement, or can I expect more longevity? Can it be done again if my eyelids fall more?

The longevity of the procedure is very good.

+2

Dear Marie

Properly done, the upper eyelid surgery is very long lasting. 10 to 15 years is not uncommon. When the surgery needs to be freshened up, generally the eyes are still in a better condition than if no prior surgery had been done. On the other hand, if too much skin is removed with the surgery, or the muscles that close the eyes are damaged, then these types of problems are also very long lived. For this reason, it is a good idea to pick your surgery well. A conservative approach is much safer for the long run that an aggressive surgery. Make sure you understand how much of your current upper eyelid fold your plastic surgeon plans to leave. Do your also have brow ptosis and would you be better off having a forehead lift? These are questions your surgeon should be willing to answer.

5-10 years

+1

I usually tell my patients that eyelid surgery can last 5-10 years. This fact is true but you need to factor in other aspects of the eyes which need to be maintained and protected such as skin quality (fine lines, discolorations). Facial changes related to genetics and aging continue over time. You may also want to consider changes to the appearance of your eyes in terms of the shape and support which may have been affected by your previous eyelid surgery.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty results should be permanent

+1

Maximal safe upper eyelid skin excision is usually done to remove eyelid hooding during your initial blepharoplasty. Further upper eyelid skin incision is not usually done if the first operation was done correctly.

In time, the eyebrow sags, a condition called brow ptosis. When brow ptosis occurs, the upper eyelid can again become obscured. When this occurs the proper procedure to correct this is a brow lift. Further upper eyelid skin excision is not reccommended.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

How long do blepharoplasty results last?

+1

As long as it takes for the brow to come down again.

In most cases there is no upper eyelid skin excess, it's just that the brow has descended a little bit. This matters because when it comes time for a redo, your brow may need to be lifted, and you may not have enough skin to close your eyes properly.

I rarely do upper eyelids anymore. An endoscopic forehead lift, when performed properly (with meticulous separation of muscles) lasts a lifetime.

Check out the link and video below for more info.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Well done eyelid surgery should last more than 10 years

+1

It is actually relatively rare to need to redo properly done eyelid surgery, even after 10 years have gone by.  This area can sustain further aging effects but the surgeries usually hold up extremely well.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS