Does Radiesse Last Longer After Repeat Injections?

I had my first injection (1 syringe) of Radiesse done in May and by August the result was completely gone. I feel like I totally wasted my money because I paid for a result that the doctor told me was supposed to last 10 months to a year. So I had a second injection done in October (this month), and the doctor said it should last longer this time?

Radiesse is long lasting if injected properly

+8

I agree that the biggest problem I see is that patients needed two or three syringes to produce the results they were looking for such as filling of the nasolabial folds and creating definition and shape along the cheekbones.

Many patients prefer to only be treated with one syringe and then are disappointed that after the swelling resolves they didnt get the dramatic results they wanted.

If your doctor is experienced in using fillers, he or she will be able to let you know how much filler you will need to correct the volume loss and produce a more youthful appearance.

You can always have more injected and still achieve the look you want!

Fairfax Dermatologic Surgeon

Radiesse Longevity: Make Sure You Get Full Correction

+6

Hi Nan,

Studies on how long Radiesse lasts have shown it to last for between 9 to 15 months. Many patients who would require 2 or 3 syringes for the proper correction, insist on only having one syringe for economic reasons. Many facial plastic surgeons won't even inject only one syringe if what you need is two or three because the surgeon doesn't want an unsatisfied patient speaking ill of her/his treatment.

In the case where one syringe will not lead to enough correction, after the initial swelling resolves, the patient may think that the filler did not work, or has disappeared prematurely. This is all based on the premise that they actually received authentic Radiesse and not a cheaper, shorter lasting subsitute filler.

Now if you didn't get enough correction the first time around, and more Radiesse is added to the already existing filler, it may appear to last longer. Some patients may need only one syringe for complete correction while the majority will benefit from more than one syringe. Good luck.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Radiesse: Appropriate Volume Correction Leads to Greater Satisfaction

+4

There is no question that Radiesse is very effective and that it lasts for a long time. The typical result will last from 9-18 months with the average being roughly 1 year. The major cause for dissatisfaction with fillers in the hands of an experienced injector is lack of volume. In other words, some patients will require 2-3 syringes in order to correct deep nasolabial folds. If the problem is not appropriately addressed to begin with, the result will not be perceived to have lasted as long as it should.

Radiesse is a synthetically derived form of calcium hydroxylapatite, a substance found within bone. It initially provides for volume correction and then encourages collagen deposition within its framework, leading to a long lasting effect. I have used it as the filler of choice for nasolabial folds for 6 years with a very high satisfaction rate

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse

+3

I advocate the use of serial injections of Radiesse rather than having high volume syringes of Radiesse injected.  In some patients, 2 syringes may be appropriate, while in others a 1/2 syringe may be better suited.  The use of serial injections allows for product to work in a synergistic manner and actually slowly gradually build up an appropriate collagen response.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Full Correction is goal to longevity

+3

One injection is never enough when it comes to Radiesse. I always tell my patients that we are building the foundation of a house. The first injection is there to set the tone. I either add a second to achieve the desired effect at the same time, or might even tell the patient to come back in a week's time. I would not inject more than 3 in one setting, especially when it comes to a material that is not as forgiving as the HAs.

Unlike the work on Restylane where an injection 4 months after the initial showed a longevity of 18 months of the filler, there appears no study of such for Radiesse. A second injection, naturally, would build on what the first had already done and theoretically you should expect a longer effect.

Interestingly, I prefer using an HA filler after the Radiesse injection. First it is much more economical for the patient, plus longevity, in my experience is still maintained rather than with just Radiesse or HA alone.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Does Radiesse last longer, the second time it's injected?

+2

Radiesse lasts about 10-12 months however, the results, like all fillers, depends upon using the correct volume for the proper correction.  If too little is used, the results seem to go away sooner.  Have a full correction each time the Radiesse is injected and this should make the rersults last longer.

Does Radiesse Last Longer w/ Repeat Injections?

+2

Hi Nan.  Because the body develops new collagen in response to the Radiesse injections, we do see that for patients that are consistent with their treatments, they can go slightly longer between treatment.  What happens is not that the product dissipates slower, but rather than over time, the body has developed new collagen in response to the "scaffold" that Radiesse has created and this leads to longer durations between treatments.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Does radiesse last longer with repeated injections

+1
I believe the result does last longer for many patients but it all depends on how much collagen your body produces to fill the area injected.  The duration of the result is definitely variable but those that have longer lasting results probably produce more collagen.  The idea of repetitive injections would be that as you build up your collagen, the volume needed to fill with the syringe becomes smaller and thus the result gives you more volume resulting in a better result. Hope you obtain a result you love.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Radiesse stimulatory filler in Los Angeles

+1

Radiesse is a very good stimulatory filler that can build collagen.  I advise my patients to take Vitamin C, supplements, and to avoid smoking and direct sun in order to help the skin stimulate collagen production. Raffy Karamanoukian Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Radiesse Duration of Effect and Repeated Treatments

+1

Thanks for the great question. First, Radiesse should last 9 to 12 months in most patients. However, this requires that the injections are well-placed and that your injector has a clear understanding of facial anatomy and aesthetics. Second, there is some evidence that Radiesse stimulates your body make more collagen. In some patients, after multiple treatments, a longer effect (or even permanent change) can be seen. This is not true in every case, however. Best of luck!

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon