IPL Hyperpigmentation

I had a photofacial/IPL procedure done 4 days ago. I expected that my hyperpigmented blotches would be peeling off by now, but they still haven't. How long does it normally take?

Depends on the individual..

+6

I agree with the other physicians.  Normally, my patients see pigment lift almost immediately and take anywhere from about 4-14 days to flake off.  I'd like to stress the importance of wearing sunscreen after any IPL treatment. 

Thanks for your question, and I hope you enjoy your IPL results!

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

It will usually take 7-14 days

+6

The “peppering” or darkening of the hyperpigmented areas can take 7-14 days to resolve. This is normal.

Depending on the amount of hyperpigmentation you have, you may need to repeat your IPL in a month. If you have a lot of sun damage, it can take 3-5 treatments. We recommend that our patients see our aestheticians for skin care in between their IPL’s.

The facial with or without microdermabrasion will help remove some of the crusted pigment and prepare the skin for the next IPL.

Web reference: http://www.monarchbaylaser.com

IPL hyperpigmentation peels off after 1-2 weeks

+4

Sun spots treated with IPL can take 1-2 weeks to resolve. Initially over the first week you will see a "coffee-ground" like substance form where the sun spots once were. Gradually, over the next week to 2 weeks, the pigment gradually dissipates. A vibraderm or silk peel 10 days following the IPL can speed up the process.

La Jolla Dermatologist

Spots after IPL

+3

The reason it takes some time for spots (or hyperpigmentation as you put it) take some time to flake off is that the lesions that were being targeted in the treatment are not always right at the surface of the skin. The pigment is normally located somewhere in the epidermis (the upper layer of skin), but cell reproduction in the epidermis can take up to a couple months. Cell turnover is the time it takes new cells at the bottom of the epidermis to come to the surface, die and flake off. The pigmented cells that were targeted in the treatment rise slowly to the surface and flake off as they normally would and this can take a couple weeks.

It may take 2 weeks for complete clearance

+3

After IPL, there may be swelling that lasts 2 days and redness that lasts 7-10 days. After 4-7 days the brown pigment appears to "rise" to the surface of the skin, but it may not start to peel off for an additional couple of days. Usually, the entire process is complete 2 weeks after you have the treatment.

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyperpigmentation and IPL

+2

If the pigmentation was a typical age spot (lentigo),  one usually sees rapid darkening of the spot after the treatment  ("peppering")  and then gradual flaking off from 4 days to 2 weeks.

If the pigment was from melasma,  the result is often not as gratifying and may require a different treatment like a topical bleaching agent, such as hydroquinone.

Mark Lucarelli, MD, FACS

Madison, WI

Madison Oculoplastic Surgeon

It may take a series of treatments

+2

The HP blotches may not come off during the first treatment, and may even get darker if it is Melasma. Hopefully you are pre-treating with a good bleaching cream plan and disciplined. Avoiding the sun and a sunscreen with SPF30 is a good start. Treatment of the face is not easy to remove if it is deep or multilayered and does take a series of treatments for best results.

Bay Area Dermatologist

IPL results depend on the true cause of your dark spots.

+2

If you are treating lentigoes (sun spots) with the IPL, they should reliably come off by about two weeks after being noticeably darkened for several days.

A less reliable result can be found with melasma, a different, more difficult, and biologically complex skin darkening that is historically tougher to improve. The results for this will depend on the skill and experience of your IPL provider, the wavelengths of the machine used, and the quality of your skin and pigmentation. Melasma may not reliably "peel off" like you expect. In fact, there is a small risk of the melasma darkening with IPL. This is because the pigment is seated deeper in the skin and not as easily targeted by the IPL.

If you do not experience the results you expect, make sure to review the process and results with a board-certified dermatologist.

IPL spots take 2 weeks to disappear

+2

When the IPL is used to treat pigmented sun spots on your skin, they will turn dark and eventually disappear.  This generally takes 2 weeks.  Be patient, you will be happy with the changes!

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsurgery.com

4 days is too early!

+1
The dark/dry, peppered spots can slough off between 4-14 days on the long end. All skin is not the same. Some spots may come off earlier than others. It is best if they come off on their own. It is normal for your skin to look worse before it is better, but the results are amazing and worth the time.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.