How Long Do I Have to Wait to Downsize my Implants?

My doctor told me 3 months because otherwise I could have significant bleeding. Is this true?

Allow yourself 3-6 months before downsizing implants

+2

You can change your implants at any time; however, this may not be the wisest thing to do early on. Generally speaking, you should avoid reoperation in the first 3 months unless there is an emergency that is 'forcing' you to do so. Your breast will evolve over the first 3-4 months and you will start getting 'used to' your new breasts. You likely had a detailed conversation with your plastic surgeon prior to undergoing this procedure and jointly decided on the size you were going for. Correct?

Give it some time. You may be very glad you did not rush into something too hastily. It does not have to do with bleeding.

Down sizing your implants -wait for 6 months for initial swelling to resolve & look more natural

+2

If you recently had the implants placed, and they are "fresh", it is best to wait for 6 months to permit the intial swelling to resolve. They will look much more natural at 6 months to 1 year. Often this involves, a slight drop in the breast implant postion to the lower part (inferior pole) of the breast. This causes less of an unnatural bulge in the upper (superior pole) of the breast, so the breast looks more natural and not like what I call in humor, "the Madonna bra" look.

Some women can be anxious initially with the sudden change and the tight and unnatural look. In most cases, this look and feel---improves and changes---week by week and month by month, not day by day.

Please try to remember this and be patient. You do not want to subject yourself to unnecessary surgery with the risks of anesthesia, bleeding and infection that go along with any surgical procedure, so use your best and rational judgement to dissuade yourself from acting on an impulse or feeling of panic. You are in control, and you can change your size, but don't rush and get into a viscious cycle of perpetuating a negative feeling about your breasts and your self image.

On the other hand, if the breast size is causing you so much anxiety, that you cannot get beyond this, then talk to your doctor and then hopefully, you and he/she in concert, will make the right decision for you, at the time you feel you need to make the decision. But remember the adage that "haste can make waste". If this is not an emergency, then do not treat it as such and be patient.

You can always make a change in the future.

Christine A. Petti, MD

Downsizing breast implants

+2

Zuelkea,

It is probably safe to down size your implants after 6 weeks.  Your surgeon may want you to wait longer to see how you feel after ALL of your swelling has subsided and your implants have had a chance to settle a little.  Your breasts may not feel as large at that point.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Live with them for 6 months.

+2

Hi! In general, I am all for smaller implants. So many women go too large. Very large implants don't age well.

BUT, I have certainly seen any number of women who thought they were too large initially and who loved their breasts several months later. So wait and be sure.

It has nothing to do with bleeding.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Be patient and wait three months before downsizing

+2

Thanks for your question. I usually advice my patients to wait around three months before adjusting their implant sizes. This allows for maximum relaxation of the breast and chest wall tissue and maturation of the scar tissue. Be patient!

I hope you find this helpful! 

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least 3-6 months

+2

Waiting a few months accomplished two things: first, it allows the tissue to settle down and the inflammation to resolve, which will reduce the risks of complications of your second procedure. Second, and perhaps just as important, during this time you may actually decide that you're happy with the size of your implants, as most of the swelling has resolved and the implants have settled into their final position.

My advice-- take some time, be patient, and make sure you want them downsized before proceeding with surgery.

Good luck,

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Wait at least three to four months

+1
It takes about three or four months for your implants to settle and the results to appear. I would recommend waiting until then before proceeding with subsequent surgery.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Wait 3 to 6 months

+1

If you are not happy with your implants, the best advice is to wait three to six months before considering a revision. It takes this long for the swelling to resolve and the tissues to settle. It would be a shame to change out perfectly good implants too early just because they looked to big from the swelling or had not settled yet.

David Shafer, MD

Best to give it a little time

+1

There is no time limit as to when you can have your implants replaced. I usually recommend waiting 3-6 months, however, because the breasts will get smaller as the swelling goes down and as they settle. I also believe that the longer you wait the shock of the size also diminshes. You may just find you love them in a few months.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Changing implant size is relatively easy, but be sure you really want to make the change.

+1

Changing implant size is very easy to do, especially if your incision is under the breast. Frequently there is some concern about picking the right size immediately after surgery. For peace of mind and to avoid a hasty decision, give the implants a chance to settle in and relax. After that it will be easier to decide on a change. All the best.

Talmage J. Raine, MD